Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that the Spider is laid up for the winter the 1st job is to sort the annoying as hell squeak from the rear.

I have driven with it for a good 6 months / 5k miles so im 99% certain it is coming from the right rear side.

Manifests itself as a constant, 'cyclic' high pitched squeaking noise at all speeds, that disappears the instant the brakes are applied.

I have read on here before that it may be the calliper sticking? Just looking for some confirmation before I get her up on stands and in pieces.

Is there some sort of test I can do to confirm one way or another?

If it is the calliper am I looking at a refurb, and if so is that something within the scope of a home mechanic? Brakes are one of the few areas on the Spider I have no experience in.

Discs / pads on the rear were both replaced about 8-10k miles ago, so basically new!:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Mine did this, but only when the brakes were hot. The pads were sticking in the holders on the calipers, remove the pads, clean up the faces where the pads sit with a square edged file, refit with a small splodge of copper grease.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

Just been reading through the service manual - looks like I can do that just by removing the pads and leaving the calliper on the car, is that right?

·
Registered
13,162 Posts
Mine did this, but only when the brakes were hot. The pads were sticking in the holders on the calipers, remove the pads, clean up the faces where the pads sit with a square edged file, refit with a small splodge of copper grease.
Thanks,

Just been reading through the service manual - looks like I can do that just by removing the pads and leaving the calliper on the car, is that right?
You'll need to loosen the bolts that hold the caliper to the car, then you can take the pads out. There is no need to undo the brake lines.

If you don't have one, you will probably need a piston rewind tool to get the pads back in to their homes (the tool is circa £25 in the UK).

·
Registered
447 Posts
Mine did that loads, does it stop if you (gently!) apply the handbrake? Good way to check if it's front or rear.

Spraying my calipers with a garden hose and giving em a scrub with an alloy wheel brush to get rid of accumulated brake dust sorted the squeak for me ;)

Chris

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive got the calliper off - just the two bolts as you mentioned and I have just ordered a calliper rewind tool from eBay (lucky I am not in a rush :) )

However the pads seems to be pretty firmly stuck in the carrier still - I dont want to force them too hard, should they just 'fall out' ?

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scratch the above, ive got the pads out - just needed some polite encouragement :)

Everything looks pretty dirty and crudded up so ill clean it all and re-assemble when the piston tool arrives.

Hopefully thatll fix it.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its one of the jobs on the list!

Ive got a Weichars strut bar in the post at the moment - I need to re-jig some things on the exhaust too and swap out some of the brackets.

Ive got a decent list for over winter.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I use an orange latex-like goo (Disc Brake Quiet) that I paint the backs of the pads with, it dries (tacky) and works really well, no squeals again.

Synthetic grease (dark grey type) on the backs of the pads works well too. Seems to last longer than copper grease.

-Alex

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ive just been down to the local parts store and come back with a decent paint set, including hardener, red lacquer and cleaning solvent. I also picked up a tub of copper paste :)

Ive ordered the piston tool from Amazon as the eBay seller decided he didnt want to ship to NL, the local factors wanted over €60!!!! Ive got the laser 1314 for 18GBP delivered, which is a bit of a bargain.

Will crack on next weekend as I am working the next 4 days and the tool should have arrived by then. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts