Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI THERE
CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THE "SQUADRA PERFORMANCE CHIP" OF THE SQUADRA TUNNING COMPANY OF NEDERLANDS WORKS REALLY GOOD OR IT IS ONE MORE OF THESE CHIPS.
THEY SAY IT IS EASY TO INSTALL AND IT WORKS VERY WELL, BUT I WANT TO KNOW YOUR OPINION UNTIL SEND THEM U$S 200 + VAT.
THANKS IN ADVANCE

G

·
Hi Jorge
I don’t know the "SQUADRA PERFORMANCE CHIP", but US$200 is fair enough as long as it works.
Some expert tolled me that these performance chips may or may not give some improvement but are usually mapped in one random car and only 100% optimised for that one. To get 100% optimisation on your car get a chip that can be mapped on your car (on a rolling road) and you get what that engine will give as a maximum. This has the added benefit that then you change car you can remove it (the old one goes back to factory default setting) and have it fitted to your new one.
I have ordered a Uni Chip to be fitted in advance for a round trip to Italy – can’t wait – at the end of this month. The price (bought and fitted in Sweden) is US$ 500 at present rates of exchange. A New Zealand company called Dastek makes it; see their web on http://www.dastek.co.za. They don’t seem to have any South American distributors but you can mail them – they have at “contact us” on their web.
Good luck and Alfisti regards
Erik

:rolleyes:

G

·
Hi guys,

Found your posts very interesting, as regards the squadra chip Ian at Alfasalv.co.uk in England supply them, they are only 8 miles from me. It is probably the best non specific remap Jorge i.e. as Erik said a chip which is not individually designed for a specific car.

They are made by a chap who ONLY does Alfa chips Jorge and I think used to work for Alfa in Holland.

Food for thought though is cost here surely, I would think that a chip that is individual to a car $500, versus one which is universal, in this case AR155 $200 would see a difference of probably 1-2bhp max (there not turbo cars and most get approx 10bhp gain, so say) of which it would be far more cost effective surely to put the other $300 towards induction kit and exhaust and have a far greater gain all round :D

Just a thought

MAK

G

·
Hi Jorge,

Probably I'm talking from a bad experience view point, but in my opinion is not advisable to buy chips from abroad. I once purchased a chip from Evolution Engineering UK for my Q4, and when I install it, the car runs pretty bad. Of course, Barry, from Evo Eng, is a really honest chap and he send me back the money invested. So, that's not the issue. The main thing is that the only way to have a chip installed with certain guarantee is if made in your place or near your place by a mechanic of yours. In my case, I end up chipping my Q4 in Buenos Aires, and I'm really happy with the mod....the car fliesssssssss!!!!

Cheers

Juan

G

·
I think Juan has hit the nail on the head there. The chip should ideally be fitted and customised to maximise the benefits of any other modifications made and be suited to the specific properties of that engine. This isnt a Playstation we are chipping, it's a unique, individual 155! The turbo boys will obviously get massive benefits from a chip, the rest of us will probably get the same improvement in overall performance that a chip would give by ensuring our tyres, brakes etc are quality products in prime condition.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THANKS VERY MUCH ERIK, MAK, JUAN AND ROB.
ALL YOUR COMMENTS ARE VERY IMPORTANT TO ME.
I KNOW THAT THE BEST THING TO DO IS ONE CHIP
REMAP SPECIFICALLY TO MY CAR, BUT SOMETHING VERY IMPORTANT THAT I DIDN´T MENTION IS THAT IN MY COUNTRY ISN´T ANY ROLLING ROAD TO USE AND ANYBODY HAS A SPECIAL COMPUTER TO DO THE JOB, SO I WAS THINKING IN THE SQUADRA "UNIVERSAL FOR ALFA" CHIP BECAUSE IT IS EASY TO FIT.
I DON´T KNOW, I´LL THINK A LITTLE MORE
CHEERS FOR ALL

G

·
Hi all
While I was considering chip tuning my 155 I read an article in a classic car magazine (Practical Classics) on tuning and conversion of older car – from the good old days of carburettors, distributors, hotter cams etc. It gave some good advice. Before investing time and money, get your car completely checked and tuned up, just like Rob says, and then check it’ acceleration abilities. If the car have a tachometer (if not, use the Speedo) time all 1000 RPM increases from say 2000 RPM to maximum (or 5000 RPM); now drive the car for a vile and see if you still want to invest time and money on getting better performance.
I have just done that and will check the figures after the chip tuning. I plan to give the result and the power curves (before and after) as a topic on the Forums Modifications.
Alfisti regards
Erik

·
Premium Member
Tesla Model S
8,046 Posts
Hi... Give me your chassis and engine number engine cc year of manufacture and modifications made to your engine and i will get back to you with a expected BHP increase and cost.

mail me the details to [email protected] :D

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HI GR. SANDER

DO YOU HAVE ONE SQUADRA CHIP IN YOUR ALFA.

TELL ME MORE PLEASE

CHEERS

·
Registered
177 Posts
So Juan, you have also tried the Evolution Engineering chip. I must say, in the ranges where it works is works really good. After that affair I considered a UNICHIP, an I realise what benefits it has and why it is twice as expensive as a normal chip. But on the other hand an engine isn't a black box. Off course you can treat it as one and you can spend two days on optimising this black box according to some parameters. And perhaps you will find some extra power here and there, power a standrad chip can't supply even though it is devloped by a guy whi'o has worked with the specific engine model for 15 years. But he know the caracteristics and limits of the turbo, the injectors, the fuel pump etc. He know by experience at what boost pressure the fuel/air mix leaks into the oil below the pistons, at what boost pressure the cylinder head needs excessive fuel to not overheat and so on. That kind of knowledge stands in contradiction to the black box approach.

So what is rigt or wrong? well, I don't know. For moderate tuning, especially on N/A engines where you can't boost the engine to parts a UNICHIP may be the best. Maybe.

/A

G

·
Hello!

De Squadra-Tuning chip is perfect!
I know the 1.8 16V with chip, 2.5 V6 with chip 2.0 8V with chip, 2.0 16V with chip, 1.7 8V with chip and the 1.8 8V with chip.
Abolute very much value for money!

If you want more power? Put in the chip

Greetings, Hilbert

G

·
I got a squadra chip. And they are axcellent value for money. I got a q4 wich now has 235hp and 345Nm. (290hp/290Nm standard)Beats almost anything in a sprint.
And it even takes LESS fuel. (Now it is only ron 98 instead of 95)

Have a look at his website for details:
www.squadra-tuning.com
Look also for comments of users on their site (I am one of them ;-) )
Jan.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts