Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally fitted the Squadra chip to my 1.8 16V. Installation was very easy, about 30 minutes i reckon, hardest part was undoing the screws holding the ECU, only droped one of them down the footwell !!
On restarting the car , the tickover was high, to be expected, drove the car for 20 minutes or so, everything seemed fine.
The result of this change is that the engine much more drivable, lots more power from 2000 rpm, feels completly different like it has more CC or something. I can drive it without changing gear all the time, at last !!!, and when i am pushing on, each gear change drops me in to a much more willing engine, throttle response is crisper, more torque everywhere.
The flat spot i had at 5200rpm is virtually gone and the rev limiter is higher, but i carnt say i notice much change at high rpm. I dont use 6500 + rpm very much, for me the improvements in the low down pulling power and ease of use of the car is fantastic.
Im a bit pissed off that ive driven this car for 60 k miles with a standard chip when i could have upgraded the ECU like this. But i suppose ive only recently started buying the quality fuel that would allow me to run the upgraded chip anyway.
Still , for the cost , you would be mad not to stick a squadra chip in your 16V car.

·
Registered
550 Posts
HI FKCREAM, I´M GLAD THAT YOU FITTED A SQUADRA CHIP IN YOUR BABE AND AGREE WITH YOU ALL YOUR COMMENTS.
REGARDS
JORGE

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do these chips not encourage detonation ,read an article someplace saying about people running around on high octane and chips damaging pistons anyone experianced the down side or is it all good any replies would be gratfull does it feel much faster? :p

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the mapping of the orginal chip would have taken into account all fuel grades, bad driving styles and massive changes in atmospheric pressure, meening that the can would have to perform the same 1 mile up a mountin as it would at sea level. The ECU is no different for which ever set of circumstances.
In reprogramming the ECU map to only use 97 ron fuel, the ECU is assuming that the fuel it gets will always be good. The ignition timing and fueling will then be set for this grade only and make full use of it rather than making a comprimise all the time.

The car does feel faster, in all conditions, but the real benefit is the great flexiblity, i just dont 'have' to change gear all the time. of course if i really want to go like the clappers then i gear down and use the extra torque/power.

If my pistons get burnt i'll be very upset. The motronic ECU should never allow that to happen.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK
Fitted a Squadra chip to my 1.8litre 8valve two days ago. Took about 20 mins. On restart, the car ticked over normally, but seemed a bit smoother. The flat spot at ~2000rpm is gone :) The car feels smoother and a bit more eager at low revs. From 4500rpm the revs fly !!! Don't notice much more power if I'm honest, but seems to pick up quicker and the car does feel more driveable. The engine sounds quieter too for some reason :confused:
Also noticed the engine is running slightly hotter than usual, but still way below the cooling fan switch temp (90ºC).
My 200 miles done over the weekend gave a fuel consumption of around 32mpg. That includes town driving, hard acceleration and a 120mile motorway trip at between 80 - 90mph. The inside of the exhaust doesn't look as sooty.

I'm happy with the chip, but did expect my car to be transformed into a fire breathing monster. This is not a fault of the chip, but me being over optimistic.
By the way, the exhaust note is even more raspy....GREAT !!!

Buy one, they do make a difference !!!

Marlon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Guys

I'm interested in a Squadra chip but VERY put off with being forced to use super unleaded.

Are you both following instructions or have you reverted back to normal unleaded?

Dont fancy having to hunt round for rarer and more expensive fuel in a V6 :(

Might have to look at another performance chip :confused:

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi wrinx, I'm still using Super, have been for about a month now.
As Super is about 5p a litre dearer (around here anyway), only costs me £2 or £3 extra when I fill up. I noticed an improvement in the cars driving after I'd filled up a couple of times. You may not get extra mpg with the Super on it's own, but the car does respond better. I'll have to see what I can get by taking it easy for a while. As I stated before, with the chip and Super, the fuel consumption is better than previosly (lucky to get 28mpg before :( )
You may be surprised at the difference this all makes as the car is set up to run "properly" and not at a compromise to run on naff petrol and beefy bovril.
I reckon the extra mpg I get for one tankful will pay for the price penalty and I have a more friendly car :)
Have I convinced you yet ??

Marlon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Marlon

Yeah, I've read that consumption can decrease a bit but Super is rare and not sure how long fuel stations will continue to sell it.

Wonder what happens if its run on normal unleaded?

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi wrinx, Shell do it in all their stations. I thought Shell had brought out new "Optimax" stuff recently ??? Am I talking crap ???

Marlon

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Marlon,

You're not talking crap - Optimax is Shell's new rebadged Super. I put some in mine the other day, and the price wasn't too bad (79.9p I think)

Rich

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What's the difference between them ???
We don't have "Optimax" here in Scotland yet (not in Fife, Dundee or Edinburgh anyway), it's still good old Super, but the same price.

Marlon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How much is one of these chips? :confused: Where do you get them?

Could you not use standard unleaded and put in some sort of octane boost?

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
you get them from alfaowner.com online shop.
They cost about £140 for the 1.8 - 2.0 litre chips.
You could run with an octane booster, but these are very expensive compared to Super

Marlon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh right......

I filled up today, and thought I'd give some super plus a try. There wasn't a super plus pump at the station, it was either regular or ultra diesel..

I thought every station had at least one super plus pump...

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"We don't have "Optimax" here in Scotland yet (not in Fife, Dundee or Edinburgh anyway), it's still good old Super, but the same price."

Optimax is reviewed in this months EVO magazine. Much cleaner fuel , that will also clean your engine while its in use. Its 98-99 RON, like 5 star used to be and Shell are selling it by the lorry load !!!, it may cost more but the difference is pretty dramatic. Car feels much more lively, in gear acceleration times reduce by around 1 sec.
If your going to modify your car with chips, zorst's and filters then this stuff changes the car by about the same level.
Ive been running optimax for 3-4 months now, i make sure thats all that goes in the tank. read EVO, the reports there and they do some fab Alfa reports.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi guys

In Denmark we have the same fuel at shell its callen V-power, in my stardard engine 2.0 i cant fell any difference...

The chip you a referring too, is it custom made for the car or "just" a standard made for all the 1.8 and 2.0 ???

Niels

1 - 18 of 18 Posts