Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Installed my Squadra chip yesterday, and you've got to get yourself one of these!
Fitting takes around 30-45 mins, and most of that was on extracting the ecu, and putting it back again on it's awkward mountings.
I have to admit i was so apprehensive i could've been shaking! I needn't have worried. I took it for a test drive, and the difference was immediately apparent, it started quicker, and settled to a smoother idle than before. Moving off was smoother, and in general driving the engine pulled more cleanly and smoother than before.
When it had had enough time to warm up i put my foot down a little bit......Just instant accelaration, no flat spots, pulling all the way much better, particularly in first and second. The V6 engine is known for it's throttle response, but this was unbelievable! The throttle is almost hair-trigger power. The torque/power curve just seems much flatter, the torque coming in much earlier than before, so standing starts are a joy, seems like nothing can live me this side of a 200 bhp + machine!
The claimed power increase for this chip on my V6 is about 16 bhp at 6800 rpm. It certainly feels all of that, particularly the extra torque. Wouldn't be surprised if it was more in fact.
Had a little bit of an unplanned test actually on the motorway. Some idiot in a white van was cutting everybody up behind undertaking, finally he did it to me I wasn't having any of it. I dropped down into 4th at about 90 - 95 mph, and he was dispatched in an instant. I was able to hold 4th for longer, till about 115-120mph, if i'd tried that before i would have run out of revs and power. No, the van wasn't doing anywhere near that, but sometimes it's good to prove a point! I think he learnt his lesson, because he didn't try it again, lol
It's nice being able to change down at around 100mph, and have that extra pull in 4th for a little bit longer. That'll be the raised rev limit then. It probably means around 5-7 mph extra in each gear.
But it's probably the extra torque i notice the most, would love to properly time myself standing start 0-60.
If you've got a V6 a 16v, whatever take a look. Sorry for going on, but as you can tell this is one of the best £155 i have spent. It's peanuts for this extra grin factor! :D
Thanks Squadra and Ian at Alfasalv.co.uk, this is the guy to ask, if you're in the UK.

Regards,

A.H

·
Administrator
Tesla Model S
8,046 Posts
Dont forget that we are an agent for Ian at alfasalv. Your support is appreciated, plus ian will still get his income.

Thank you.

These should be available in our shop soon. Please support us untill then

Thank you.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Alfaowner,

Sorry, didn't forget, cos i didn't know in the first place.
Must've missed that one!
Of course i'm happy to support Alfaowner, but Ian's a distributor for Squadra in the UK, that's why i included his web site address. Also, we wouldn't know about these chips if it wasn't for a member on this site telling us all(sorry forget who it was), so thanks to him!

Regards,

A.H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm gonna order the Squadra Chip today for my 155 V6! :)

·
Administrator
Tesla Model S
8,046 Posts
Hey dont apologise for that... We are still working every day on the shop, its coming along nicely.

Speak again soon.... Hi Bug Fix, nice to see you here.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually since my 155 has the Alfa Code, does the chip have to be specifically made for my car?

BTW, how is the fuel economy?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi,

Fuel economy??, what's that? lol

Sorry, wasn't really a major concern with me, i haven't had a real chance to test this in any thourough way, but from what i've seen so far fuel economy is unchanged. Also now that i'm using super unleaded as opposed to normal unleaded the fuel economy should be better anyway.
I'll try to get a more accurate figure over the next few days, and i'll let you know.

Does the chip have to be specifically made for the car? I have a late '95 V6, with Alfa code, and all i had to do was supply the last few digits of my chassis number, so maybe this has something to do with that. I've had no problems with that side of things.

Regards,

A.H

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
hi ,on the subject of the squadra chip ,does the chip work if I was to convert the my v6 to lpg as I might do this later, do you get full instructions on how to fit it or is it best to send the ecu away,who is the best supplier as I see there is some sort of agent selling them.Also can the higher mileage v6,s take the strain (ie130,000miles)Alfapat(Patrick)

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi,

I just got my Squadra chip for my 155 V6. The most apparent improvement was the torque. I think BHP increased but the torque and throttle response is much better.

When my car was stock I dusted a Volvo S40 2.0 Turbo. The night after I fitted the chip, I left a relatively new Merc E 230 standing at 180 km/h. I paced the Merc from 130 until 150 km/h. After that I just put my foot to the floor and my car just zoooomed past the Merc! 190 km/h in 4th gear no sweat! There was also a Proton Perdan 2.0 V6, waste of time, that car was a slug.

No change in fuel economy. Well there should be some change since I use throttle more now. BUt Stephan said it shouldn't effect the car when it is using the Lambda sensor feedback. Once your throttle is at a certain angle the mapping used is Stephan's not the factory one anymore.

Thanks Stephan!

Zamani
'96 155 2.5 V6
Squadra chip, K&N panel filter, 2.5" pipe from cat to stock rear muffler.

p/s I'm going to custom make the downpipes so they are equal in length with 1 3/4" pipes and a very high quality 2 into 1 merge collector.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Zamani,

Glad you got one, and glad you found the same results as me! It just goes to show that these chip's really do work.
Patrick, don't know anything about using it with lpg, neither can i comment on using the chip in a high millage car. Maybe your best bet is to email Ian at Alfasalv, he was very helpfull with my questions. The chip comes with fitting instructions, but it really is simple to fit.

Oh and Zamani, remember you have to use high octane fuel (97-98) i had to put 95 in mine recently, and i deffinately noticed a slight drop in power compared to super unleaded fuel(97 or 98 octane here in the UK).
Next step is a supersprint exhaust for me (after saving the pennies)

Regards,

A.H

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Alex
I'm thinking about a Squadra chip when I upgrade to a V6 soon (when I can find one!!), can you explain why the fuel economy should be better using super unleaded. I've not heard of this before. Considering the price of Super it would be useful to consume less of the stuff

wrinx

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Wrinx,

Well it's not really better fuel 'economy' i mean you're unlikely to save any money, because as you pointed out, the stuff costs more than normal unleaded in the first place! But the car doesn't seem to burn as much of it. Why this is so i don't have a clue, maybe someone else knows.

Even before the chip, i would get about 30 miles more out of a tank using super as opposed to normal unleaded without really trying.
Not sure wether the extra milage offsets the extra cost, but it could easily be worked out.
I think this was a view shared by others on a topic recently. It's also said that it's better for your motor, along with the expected extra performance.

Regards,

A.H

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Alex

mmmm.......is there a petro-chemist in the house.

Perhaps you dont need to burn as much for the same or better effect. Another possibility is it costs so much so you go a little lighter with the right foot.

cheers, wrinx

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was a little skeptical about the bhp gain for my 155 V6. But after almost passing a Merc CLK 320 at very high speeds, I am impressed. The last time I left a Merc E230 standing at 160 km/h I thought he wasn't pressing. But the CLK 320 face off was really something! Thumbs up to Stephan and his chip!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can support any good comments about the squadra-chip my 2.0l 16v has got to 140mph will more still to come, did start to notice front-end lift looks like its time for that touring car front spoiler...

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello, I was thinking of buying a superchip for my 155 2.0 T Spark.

Would a squadra chip be better?
How much are they?
and where do I buy one from?

sorry! can I fit them myself or is it best to get them fitted professionally.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
IMHO squadra over superchip anyday...
the squadra chips are only made for alfa's, superchips are a bit generic... to me that means they've had more time to perfect flattening of dead spots, more torque lower down and generally a lot better responses too... oh and also make it go like poo of a hot shovel.

Available from www.alfaowner.com/shop from the 28th jan onwards, price... £135 i think + delivery(adds 13 BHP top end + 20 Lb of torque more). The superchip is £165 + delivery and only adds 10BHP.. looking better already.

easy to fit youself...

checkout http://www.squadra-tuning.com/ZZ_chiptuning_for_the_alfa_155.htm and take a look at the preformance curves for your car!

then again... i'm biased

regards

J

1 - 18 of 18 Posts