Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Q1 Is it available in Ireland ?

Q2 Does it have to be tuned to the individual car or is it off the shelf ?

I ask Q2 because if it's off the shelf I could just order one in England and have it sent over.

Is it true that they're a better all-round chip than the superchip ?

M

·
0 Posts
You just plug and play. No need to have the chip mapped to your car.

Check with the Alfaowner shop for availability, they should be able to get you one.

Which chip is best is not clear. Squadra needs to use Super Unleaded. There is some debate as to whether Superchips need this too.

The Squadra is much cheaper !!!

Marlon

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
by "needs to use super" do you mean it will only give a performance boost with it, or will the car run poorly without it ?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
marlon:
The engine may "pink" without it.
OK, I did a google and found that pinking is pre-ignition and is generally bad for the car. It is recognised by a ticking sound in the engine but what damage does it do and is it guaranteed that normal 95 octane will "pink" a squadra chipped car. Sorry for all the questions, I just dont wanna fork out €250 for a chip only to find it'll ruin the car if it's not fed right (bit like a Gremlin :) )

F

·
0 Posts
Pinking,pre-ignition will burn holes in valves heads and pistons.... you do not want any angine pinking for very long. For the Squadra chip you need to use super unleaded, the chip is tuned to use super unleaded, thtas it. When i asked a Superchips agent 2 years ago, they also needed super unleaded, but people on this forum say otherwise, maybe things have changed.

Pinking will ruin your engine

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx fk. Dunno if the superchip issue is Alfa specific but for comparison, my Prelude was fitted with a superchip and I've never put Super Unleaded into it (was never told to). It has never given me a days trouble.

P

·
0 Posts
Watch out Bealzbob, as far as I know Super unleaded is now only available from Esso in Ireland at about €1.10, compared to 95 RON at €0.86 at the moment.
Does anyone know anything about the other chips available from the 155 site shop?

J

·
0 Posts
If you run unleaded then add an octane booster.. that should be OK for the squadra chips

(i think)

rgrds

j

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PaulC:
Watch out Bealzbob, as far as I know Super unleaded is now only available from Esso in Ireland at about €1.10, compared to 95 RON at €0.86 at the moment.
Does anyone know anything about the other chips available from the 155 site shop?
Bang on Paul. I go to the KCR in Kimmage, he has unleaded at 82.9c. Esso are running super at around €1.09. There goes the squadra option :) It's looking increasingly likely that my 155 add-ons will be purely aesthetic :)

P

·
0 Posts
I live fairly close by and find Shell the cheapest in Kilmainham, however I notice that the lads on the far side of the pond, particularly Scotland seem to be looking for a high octane Shell petrol, which I haven't seen here (Ireland)

Many years ago in a former life I used to work on Rovers (P5 and P6). The Rover 3.5 coupe (late sixties mid seventies) required 5 star, which was 99 Octane, which became unavailable. 98 Octane caused pinking or pre-ignition. This is when the fuel air mix in the cylinder head after being compressed by the piston explodes instead of combusting in a controlled fashion, it was also called knocking because if the big end bearings were worn the shock of the combustion occuring too many degrees before TDC caused the bearing to come into contact with the crankshaft. The solution in the Rover V8 was to retard the ignition timing by 2-3 degrees. This led to a slight loss of power but did work. Pinking or pre-ignition usually occurs at low engine speeds 1000 to 1800 on full throttle. People with Rover coupe's added octane boosters to cure the problem and having driven some of them with the octane booster I can confirm that it did work. But it was expensive!!

PS 96D47474, what is yours

P

·
0 Posts
And just to throw a complete spanner in the works, the 155 has a knock sensor which retards the ignition timing through the ECU, hmmmmm
does it work though?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Friend of mine just said he had a 164 V6 3.0 and it's knock sensor worked fine.

I paid the balance on the 155 yesterday and I'll be collecting it from Kilcullen on Tuesday.

It is 97D32444.

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
After reading about pimking I think I might go back to super unleaded but jason where do I get the octane booster is there a few products to choose from and how does it work financially OIm sure i`ve asked this before but got fed up looking for petrol stations and paying a lot more for super! frown

M

·
0 Posts
Pat
Halfords and motor part stores will sell boosters. The thing is......they will work out dearer than Super to use.

Marlon

·
Registered
550 Posts
I HAVE FITTED THE SQUADRA CHIP 10 MONTHS AGO, IN MY COUNTRY FUEL IS 95, SO I USE LIQUI MOLY OCTANE BOOSTER PLUS AND NEVER HAVE A PROBLEM YET.
CHEERS
JORGE wink

S

·
0 Posts
Hi bealzbob and paul,
I use an AutoDelta chip in my 97 2l 16v with ordinary 95 ron unleaded with no problems autodelta say its ok too and the chip only cost £199 sterling there is a place in cork who supply them will try to track them down
joe

S

·
0 Posts
hi bealzbob and paul
here are the cork agents for autodelta
IRELAND
Grandon Car Sales
Sally Brook
Glanmire
Co. Cork
Tel: (021) 4858311