Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
when im going country back roads, i've notice the front o/s wheel tends to sqeek only when im steering to the right, any advice on were i can check?
thanx ;)

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Could be the brake pads tapping against the disc, but that wouldnt explain it only happening on right turns,

em, are your wheels done up tight? :eek: or it could be the wheel bearing showing signs of wear. :confused:

Jack

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Got the same on my 156 with the n/s wheel, but mainly on left turns. As your problem is with the o/s that would explain the difference from left to right perhaps. Does it go away when you lightly touch the brake pedal - mine does.

The dealer says it is the front pad touching the disc so it's OK then??

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
It should be fine, as the pads wear more the distance between pad and disc may increase and the noise will go away :)
Other than that the caliper could be taken off and cleaned up greased to make sure it releases properly :eek:

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Toxic said:
Got the same on my 156 with the n/s wheel, but mainly on left turns. As your problem is with the o/s that would explain the difference from left to right perhaps. Does it go away when you lightly touch the brake pedal - mine does.

The dealer says it is the front pad touching the disc so it's OK then??
that sounds like the same symptons hope it is that mot is due :(

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Well I would check the play in the front wheel bearings.......may be too much and need an adjustment........I had a similar problem with an Alfetta GTV :eek: ;) :D

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Stori said:
Well I would check the play in the front wheel bearings.......may be too much and need an adjustment........I had a similar problem with an Alfetta GTV :eek: ;) :D
I didnt know wheels bearings could be adjusted :eek: :confused:

Dont worry about it m8, does sound like any thing that will fail an MOT :)

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
AlfaJack said:

Not really sure these days but they were on the RWD 116 series. :D

·
Registered
564 Posts
AlfaJack said:

Don't think they can be adjusted on a 155, definetly can't on the front. ;) ;)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
The bearings can wear and produce movement. Although no adjustment is possible, retorqueing the bearing nut can reduce the play.

It could be worn brake pads, or the pads could be tight in the caliper carrier. If so remove them and fill away the brake dust and corrosion to allow a sliding fit.
The other thing is static build up. Fitting shims were developed for applications which tend to produce brake noise. Also, copper grease on the rear of the pad should stop any humming or constant squeaking in this sort of situation.

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
I have just had new pads all round, the discs were fine. And the calipers checked BUT i've got the same Bloody squeal at times quite loud.....
its going back in to be "looked at" must be new pad related... :eek:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
It can come from some brands of pads more than others. Also, driving technique can affect the brake noise. Ford circulated a technical bulletin a while ago to say that very light prolonged check braking can produce a glazed pad and hence noise just the same way that an overheated lining can! Moderate braking is the order of the day. :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
I've just changed the discs and pads on my V6... had excatly the same fault. On mine it was just the backing plate touching the disc.. took 2 mins to fix, just bent them out a little with a screwdriver

1 - 16 of 16 Posts