Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish to take the upper front wishbones from my car to give them a good greasing as they are squeaking pretty badly. How do they come out? It looks pretty easy but do I have to remove the strut, and then unbolt the whole lot, or can I just remove the pin.

Many Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
whats this grease called and where can you buy from. My ARB or Lower arms have started to squeak. I've tried wd40 but it only lasts a couple of days.

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was told by someone you can inject oil or grease with a syringe, although I would be wary of anything which may make the rubber deteriorate. I was tempted to get some grease and try injecting it between the bush and the rod if I could get in there.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Good chance if its squeaking its knackered anyway so you are just buying time and trying to keep your sanity (squeak drives you mad)

G

·
I agree with Maverick. I'd say if they are squeaking, they are worn.

BTW you can get white grease from Halfords for about £4

·
Registered
204 Posts
Planning to have a go at replacing one of my upper wishbones soon. The instructions on Gazza's site are quite long winded as that is to replace both upper and lower wishbones. Is the top by itself a relative piece of cake and would I need spring compressors? Any help greatly appreciated! :)

·
Registered
30,251 Posts
No spring compressors needed, you will not be removing the spring from the strut at all.

If everything that needs to come undone comes undone ok then it is relatively straightforward.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks DC! So if I were to do the shocks at the same time, would we be talking spring compressors then?

Had the new wishbone from EB Spares turn up today. The previous owner has a receipt from EB for the other side for May last year. Had a look at that one today and was a bit shocked to find the ball joint boot has perished and split already! Will see if I can swap it for the boot off the one I'm replacing.

·
Registered
30,251 Posts
Perished ball joint boots on EB wishbones has come up before...

Yes if you change the shocks then you will need spring compressors.

G

·
David C said:
Perished ball joint boots on EB wishbones has come up before...
Interesting....has there been any official response to this?

I had trouble with something when I did the top wishbones...droplink bolt I think(???), nearly sheared the allen head as it was so solid....evetually won though!

I didn't jack both sides of the car but found that there is JUST enough movement to get the wishbone out if you apply gentle downward pressure on the brake disc....or stand on it! :eek: :lol:

wrinx

·
Registered
30,251 Posts
wrinx said:
Interesting....has there been any official response to this?
They replaced them and it was put down to an isolated incedent.

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Apparently the upper wishbones from Shop4parts are OEM. So maybe they could be bought and the bushes changed before fitting them.

·
Registered
30,251 Posts
It still meant that the owner had to do the same job twice in a very short time (a couple of months...).

My original 1999 top wishbones are failing now and I am holding out for a set of OEM wishbones.

·
Registered
204 Posts
David C said:
My original 1999 top wishbones are failing now and I am holding out for a set of OEM wishbones.
Hmmmm...beginning to think I should have done the same, even the rubber boot on the brand new one, looks and feels like sh*t quality. I guess you get what you pay for!

Will hang on to the old wishbone, that comes off the car, with a veiw to maybe powerflex bushes at some stage...

·
Registered
30,251 Posts
Re Powerflex bushes, they will only fit the OEM wishbones, so yes if you have a set with good ball joints keep them for a future upgrade.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Have just done the upper wishbones on my 156 today.

It's not that hard a job, apart from the previously mentioned couple of very tight bolts.

One thing that I've done differently to the guide linked is to leave the bolt through the upper arm bushes loose until it's sitting at normal ride height, then tighten it right up.

Reason for this is, the squeaking on mine was caused by the metal inner of the bushes tearing free from the rubber part and squeaking whenever it moved with the suspension. I'd assume most fail in a similar manner.
The metal inner is bonded to the rubber bush, so if you tighten it up at full suspension travel, by the time you've lowered it down to the ground you've got a hell of a lot of twisting in the bush at normal ride height - and that's gonna help kill it again.
If you tighten it up at normal ride height, then the bush isn't twisted at all when the car is sitting still, so it should last longer.

Please feel free to comment if I've missed the boat, but this is the same principal you use with other bushes on other cars.

·
Registered
30,251 Posts
Yes the wishbone bolt should be tightened with the suspension at normal rideheight.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts