Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all

After doing my alternator i developed a loud sqeak from my brakes, i believe i have contaminated them with grease.:rolleyes: i have cleaned them with white spirit, and it has improved slightly.it is more frequent at low speeds and when turning slightly.does this sound like contaminated brakes? do i need to replace the pads and discs?

thanks ant

·
Registered
7,080 Posts
i have cleaned them with white spirit, . . .

. . . does this sound like contaminated brakes? do i need to replace the pads and discs?
If they weren't contaminated before, they probably are now! Never use petroleum-based solvents anywhere near brakes!

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
So... where abouts in Bristol are you?

I am not far from Bristol - in Clevedon.

If you changed the pads and thoroughly cleaned the discs, I don't see why you would need to change the discs as well. They are bright shiny metal, I am not convinced that you could really contaminate the surface of cast iron - but who knows. Perhaps someone could tell for sure.

·
Registered
7,080 Posts
I didn't know that glad I just use brake clear even if it is through ignorance.
Brake cleaner is just as bad - it's a solvent which will damage rubber components such as seals!

If you changed the pads and thoroughly cleaned the discs, I don't see why you would need to change the discs as well. They are bright shiny metal, I am not convinced that you could really contaminate the surface of cast iron - but who knows. Perhaps someone could tell for sure.
No need to change the discs if they are in good condition - just a thorough clean to get rid of any contaminants.

G

·
hi all

After doing my alternator i developed a loud sqeak from my brakes, i believe i have contaminated them with grease.:rolleyes: i have cleaned them with white spirit, and it has improved slightly.it is more frequent at low speeds and when turning slightly.does this sound like contaminated brakes? do i need to replace the pads and discs?

thanks ant
I'd be more inclined to say your calipers need some attention. I've had look at mine recently. Basically dust from the pads gets deposited on and under the caliper seats, causing the pad to be held tightly in the caliper which can result in squeal. Lack of use can also cause this btw.

·
Registered
7,080 Posts
And that is utter penis dribble.
You are entitled to your opinion, although it could have been expressed in a slightly less offensive manner, but I'm talking from experience. I had to replace the front brake seals & rubber slide bushes on my Honda CBR600 after cleaning the calipers with brake cleaner.

One picture is worth a thousand words:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts