Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am hoping to fit a front strut brace to my Alfasud Sprint Veloce. I would appreciate if anybody could advise me what options are available and from what sources if possible please. I believe OMP manufacture one, but they specify that the model number, MA 1738 is applicable to the 33. Will it fit the Sprint or are other items available..? Many thanks..Noel.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Is there any advantage to fit a front strut bar as there is already a bulkhead between the struts? :confused:

·
Registered
870 Posts
its always a topic for discussion if suds / sprints / 33's actually need a strut brace, as the car has very well braced baulk head between the strut tops,.. however, a lot of the racers still fit them, and these guys do know what they are doing,, so there must be something in it after all ??

make sure you get a brace for a sud / sprint,.. i made the mistake of getting one for a 33 after being told it would fit, it does not, the plates that bolt over the strut top mount are a different angle,..

also !!!! WARNING !!!! look how close it sits to the battery posts, make sure there is no chance the battery can short it self agaist the strut brace

in the end i cut up and modified the 33 brace to fit, to be honest i should have just made it from scratch to start with

·
Registered
347 Posts
The orange race car in the photo is mine - the brace we made up is tailored and not an off the shelf item. Always best to beef that area up to counter any flex - especially when running slicks and when the rest of the shell is stiffened through the cage. What appears ok on the road can become the weak area when the rest is stiffened.

·
Registered
725 Posts
My opinion: Competition car - do it, but get the right one. Road car - don't bother, I don't think you will notice the difference.
Mark

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
The orange race car in the photo is mine - the brace we made up is tailored and not an off the shelf item. Always best to beef that area up to counter any flex - especially when running slicks and when the rest of the shell is stiffened through the cage. What appears ok on the road can become the weak area when the rest is stiffened.
Yeah it looks real nice. For competition I can certainly see the point with the huge forces involved but for road use I wouldnt think it would make a significant difference.........I have one on my 156 though :p

Nice adjustable strut top mounts by the way, I did have some 'uprated' standard style ones from BLS many years ago and these made a big difference to turn it. I imagine the competition ones must make a big difference :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
This is an age old debate, I would say the 33/Sprint benefits massively from a strut brace - jack up the front of the car and then try to open the door on the side where the jack is, that will illustrate how weak the shell is and in my opinion it needs all the help with strengthening it can get. Also you need to bear in mind that the strut brace is not only for stiffening the shell, it also helps to optimise the operation of the suspension. From personal experience with my 33 I would say that turn in is better and the car feels a lot more solid and secure when cornering, its a cheap upgrade and well worth doing.

As for where to buy one I can't help you, 33 braces are easy enough but never seen a Sprint one for sale.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Yeah but the weakness isn't across the car, it's from the tower back to the A pillar, and the top of the A pillar. That inner guard/A pillar area is weak and made worse by a decent tendency to rust. Many track suds/sprints have the roll cage come through the dash/bulkhead and connect to the top of the strut tower to fix this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts