Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As some in the AO will be aware, I have acquired three Sprints - 1 good one (Restored but needed "Finishing") and two "For Spares".
One is a Silver "D" reg 1.5 - which is now the basis for my 6C project.
The other a Red "F" reg 1.7 - with no engine and gearbox. (This was to be the 6C but was in better condition) so the idea was to put the 1.5 engine and gearbox into this one.
However I then realised that I had an 8V and a 24V so really needed a 16V to make the set!:rolleyes:
So another foray on E-bay has sourced a 16V Boxer from a 145 with not too many miles on it. I also have the exhaust manifold and other bits in a box, but not the ECU.
So when I get stuck for things to do on the 6C,:wow: I now can enjoy building up the 16V.........:lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Very nice...............engine bay looks in fairly reasonable condition :thumbs:

16v will make a very nice addition :)

M

·
0 Posts
Good luck with this one Philip, another thread to follow:cool: and it'll be almost the same as mine!:D

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I finally looked through the bag of "bits" that I got with the engine - and it has got the Bosch Air flow meter and coil pack? So that's some off the list :)

Attachments

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
Well I finally looked through the bag of "bits" that I got with the engine - and it has got the Bosch Air flow meter and coil pack? So that's some off the list :)
... actually if you want to get the most out of this engine, you cant use any of these parts :(

on the other hand, if you just want to make it run as a 16v catalyst, then you can use them.

or you can just make it work now and make the changes needed later on :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did think about bringing the red Sprint up from the "big Shed" whilst the 6C is out, but I will wait until next year as there is still a lot of detail work to do on the 6C and it is due back .....soon...I hope!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Quotes from http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-33-sud-and-sprint/154537-my-sprint-has-had-enough-of-me-8.html

Sorry to hear about your back Chris :( good news about the subframe - I'll need to get one for my 16V conversion - but I did wonder - might it be possible to modify the ordinary 8V subframe to clear the 16V front pulley?
Thanks Sudaddict - have you a picture by any chance showing your modified part? If so could you post it on my 16V thread so we don't hijack this thread?
Hi Alfasixnut. I couldn’t find a suitable pic of the modified crossmember out of the car. However here is a pic showing the modified crossmember already fitted to the Sprint.
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu190/sudaddict/06102009-1.jpg
As can be seen, some metal has been removed from the top of the crossmember just enough to clear the front pulley. And here is another pic showing the car underneath, all looking quite normal.
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu190/sudaddict/06102009.jpg
The subframe is a very strong item and the car still behaves like a normal Sprint. I hope this helps a bit. :)

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's great Sudaddict - nany thanks.
I expect that I will be doing the engine installation in the Summer next year as, hopefully, the 6C will be up and running by then....

·
Registered
870 Posts
Phil i will hopefully :rolleyes: have my sud back form the body shop next month, so when the 16v is in i can take pics to give you ideas for yours, or when its running just drive it round!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hello Philip!

I can take some pictures and do some measurements of an original 16V cross member if you wish.

BTW I have now changed (finally) from 1.7iE to 16V in my Yellow Sprint. This week I have it every day to work. It runs fine but the coolant thermostat has hanged himself, so it would only be 70 degrees with the result that it takes a very long time before there will be any heat in the cockpit. I Also suspect that the high idle that lasts unusually long due to this fault.
I have today ordered a new coolant thermostat which I will change this weekend.

For the moment I use a KN universal filter directly to the LMM but I don't like the intake sound so I hope to find a original Sprint 1.7 iE filter box. Or else I will modify a 33 filter box or similar to fit the Sprint.

Good luck with the building.

Attachments

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
Joakim , about the air filter, George has installed the standard air box of the 33 when he installed the 16v engine on it but has now changed it to a racing air filter with air box. The standard one fits just fine but I recommend whatever you do, make sure that it sucks air from outside the engine bay !

Philip, would you like me to ask around in Cyprus for the front section of the crossmember that you need ? the rest is exactly the same, I made the measurements when I installed mine on my white Sprint 2 weeks ago

1 - 20 of 65 Posts