Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been watching a few vids of people fitting new dampers and springs on YouTube. There's something that puzzles me and I'm sure it's a simple answer.

When people fit new dampers but keep the original springs, they always mark in nail varnish or something where the spring lines up with the bolts on the top mount. Why do they do this? Does the spring bend over time so if it went in at 180 degrees to it's original placing, it would foul on something?

When they fit new damper AND new springs, I wonder how they place the spring into top and lower mounts, can it be put in anywhere or are there usually markers.

Cheers

·
Registered
565 Posts
never known that.....

the top and bottom mounts on a strut assembley should have an area when the end of the spring seats, no need to mark the spring....

can you put up link to one of the videos....

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Kam,

I'll try and find some, there are lots to be honest and that Guy on Whealer Dealers always does it. I read on here a while ago that someone didn't do it and had to disassemble them for some reason.

So the lower plate has a groove or something that the tail of the spring sits in?

·
Registered
565 Posts
both the top and lower spring mount or Seat, will have an area where the end of the coil will sit.

Look at part 9 in the link below, (For my E30 BMW, but 99% of cars are the same)
Guide support/spring pad/attaching parts BMW 3' E30, 325i (M20)

I have watched Wheeler Dealers for years, and have NEVER seen Edd China mark a coil spring on a strut assemmbley before he removes it.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Typically, every Vid I've just looked at,, they haven't painted any marks on the springs, but I've seen it loads of times before, honest! No one appears to worry about it with new springs.

If you read paragraphs 10 and 15 of this guide, you'll get a gist of what I'm trying to get my head round. I'm just curious that's all.

http://www.seeit.co.uk/Fitting_your_own_Koni_FSD.pdf

·
Registered
565 Posts
Ar...i see now......

They mark the spring and top mount because the strut is the fork type strut. they mark it because it helps to make sure the fork is in the right place on re-assemmbley, not because the spring has to be in a perticular place. The spring will still sit in a "seat" on the bottom spring mount, and be in the same place, so this helps as a guide to lining up the top mount.

this method only applys to "Fork" type struts, and its to help line up the top mount and nothing to do with the spring itself.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers,

So if the marks on the old spring help to line things up, is it just trial and error lining the top up when you put new spings on? Think I remember seeing Ed China grease part of the top mount, maybe to aid in this alignment? I realise now that alignment is nowt to do with the spring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts