Alfa Romeo Forum banner
121 - 140 of 151 Posts
Don't worry about the weather, Bring a good umbrella, plenty to see and do indoors. I'm not that bothered about the museum although of course we will look all round it. I'm more interested in the cars that are going to be present and look to see what people have done.

I see where you are coming from but attendance is ALWAYS down when it rains. As I will have my 2 year old daughter with me, I can manage a car browse with her when it is dry, but she doesn't 'get' wandering about in the rain looking at a car park.

The weather forecast has just changed again!

Yesterday the forecast was a little wet first thing, then fine and dry, now it is raining all day.

The Met office are useless.
As of 1800 hrs on Sat the weather forecast for Sunday is mainly dry - that'll do for me:smile:

I will see you all there. I am dropping the wife off first so please don't hang on for me at Tesco, really gutted my car is not up & running for this one :frown: but looking forward to looking around yours!

Well I've give the car a good clean up and did a few little bits an bobs so hope to see you guys in the morning.

Oh, and if you wonder what the racket is when I pull up, it's the DMF on it's way out.

I really enjoyed meeting a number of you today and looking at all the lovely Alfa' s but why did it cost me £17 to bring my car and support the day?
I know I could have booked in advance and saved a couple of quid but if people like me didn't bring our cars there wouldn't be a meet so why do I have to pay?
Where does the profit go? Are the overheads that substantial?

It's the cost of entry to Duxford.

The normal walk up ticket price to Duxford is £17.50. So good value if you are going around the museum.

If not, best value is MITCAR - £10 per CAR with free entry to all of Deene park.

Couldnt meet up with you guys at Bury St Edmunds so went to the event later.On arrival (this was at 1.00pm) I asked the person on the gate where the 156 section was to be told
" I dont know and the marshals have left".....I park my car up and looked round and there was a great selection of owners cars there but as for everything else I wasn't impressed.There was ONE guy selling Alfa autojumble and about another 5 trade stands that were very dissapointing but great if you really need an Alfa fleece, there was no Alfa race cars, no 8c (surely this could have been arranged) no Alfa history information either on boards or video, no beer tent, no inside exibits and a tiny portion of chips was £3! .Basically I feel that ive wasted the petrol money from Ipswich and the £17 entry as all the event was really was a gathering of owners cars which we could have arranged in a farmers field along with a BBQ..... On the way out I was asked if I wanted to join the club lol, hope some of you didnt have too far to travel..............

Discussion starter · #133 ·
Great to meet you guys at Bury this morning with all your lovely bellas!

Aquam. I think to feel you get value from these sort of events, you need to take advantage of looking round the venue as well as the cars,otherwise yes there isn't much to justify the entrance fee of £17.50. As Spacecadet pointed out, that included the price of entry to the museum, and for me and my mate who came with me, we were well happy with the day. If you're not interested in the museum exhibits etc. then I can understand your dissatisfaction. Getting there at 1 you wouldn't have really been able to do the museum 'justice' anyway, but if you couldn't get there earlier then fair enough...
I thought today that there was less organisation as regards to model designated parking than is usually the case, but didn't think it detracted from the event that much.
Don't forget that the marshalls are members with cars and are volunteering and they have a right to enjoy the day too!
I agree that there is'nt many other attractions other than the cars that come with these AROC events, but if traders don't want to come then they don't come!

Anyways, just my opinion and I'm not having a pop Aqua, just putting my viewpoint on it.

I really enjoyed meeting a number of you today and looking at all the lovely Alfa' s but why did it cost me £17 to bring my car and support the day?
I know I could have booked in advance and saved a couple of quid but if people like me didn't bring our cars there wouldn't be a meet so why do I have to pay?
I think you have to factor in a few things. The cost to the club charged by the venue, the access to the wonderful museum included in the entry cost, and costs promoting the event.
Pleased you had a good day though, I've never seen so many 916's in one place.

As I'm not an AROC person I know I have no say. However, I have been to a number of events by a range of car clubs over time and a few stand out to me in terms of value for money.

First the worst.

A few years ago there was an Alfa show at Burghley House near Stamford. I was there quite by accident with family. The park and grounds at Burghley are free to park in, access and enjoy. There are acres there. However, if you arrived in an Alfa you were charged a fee by people in HiViz to park on a patch of grass near the car park. That is poor form. I had a good look around the 'show' as I'd parked the Ford for free next to the show space and wandered over, which was again - free. I'd have been totally naffed off if I'd arrived in an Alfa!

The best value was last years MITCAR at Rockingham Castle. £10 for the car inc 2 adults and 2 children. Full access to the house and gardens included.
The price if I had just been there for a day out £27! So the staffing, grounds cost etc cost -£17.

That is how you do it.

Rockingham took plenty of money, hand over fist because everyone was in the shops, the cafe etc.

The organisers need to look at the Rockingham model when choosing venues. Duxford was good IF you used the full site. Otherwise. Huge expense, poorly organised and very few trade stands. Even Shop4parts who have attended every Alfa show I have ever been to were absent.

I thought it was a great day out. I enjoyed meeting new people and people I only know through the forum or Facebook it was great to meet the 'real' person. For me Duxford was great as we loved the museum and the impromptu air displays.

Perhaps a bit more trade would be welcome but I still really enjoyed the day and thought it was great value for money.

The cost of entry to IWP Duxford perhaps? Just a wild guess really:wink:

I thought the day was excellent! It would have been great to have had the cars more organized and some trade stands would have been welcome but value for money wise we thought it was excellent. Not only did we get to chat with like minded individuals but also got to see up close a Spitfire performing acrobatics and a Hunter display team plus entry into the various Duxford displays, the Tank exhibition was well worth seeing. Great venue.

We, as infrequent visitors to these sort of meetings had a marvelous day! Couldn't care about the cost, compared to the info and ideas I gleaned off other attendees. We thought it was a wonderful day out and to see so many Alfas in one place.
I would like to thank all those involved in the organisation of it all, and for a bit of petrol, 30 odd quid for entrance for 2 an annual show made it a great day out.
I bought one of those Canadian guys new embossed red wind jackets for a tenner to compliment my 9euro Alfa hat I bought on the island of Rhodes, and we drove home very pleased, more informed and happy people.
I have a bucketload of pics if anybody wants me to put them up. I have done so on another marque forum and they have been received with enthusiasm. No complaints here. We're not really aeroplane fans, but they were good to look at and the museum was interesting.

Love to see the pics.

Only took two or three and they were of my little one devouring an ice cream with huge vigour!

121 - 140 of 151 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.