Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi need a bit of advice please

I've had my 156 1.9 JTD for about 8 months now and the clutch gets spongy after about an hours use

I've had the clutch slave cylinder and fluid changed but its not much better the mechanic said there is what looks like a one way valve under the battery tray which could well be the problem.

What do you think ? Are they a main dealer part only?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Er, well, the one-way valve under the battery tray is the slave cylinder. Although I've never heard it called that before.

If it has been changed then it's possible the master cylinder is at fault, get your head down in the footwell, you'll see it operated by the clutch pedal. Tricky to change as the access is poor.

Good luck

Pub

·
Registered
446 Posts
Not sure how the clutch would work with a one way valve...
There is a pulse eliminator or some similar named device in the hydraulic circuit just before the flexible bit between the master and slave cylinders its bolted to the inner wing right under the battery tray. this could be what the dealer is talking about but it isn't a one way valve nor could it ever be as once you'd depressed the clutch it would never engage again!
More likely one of the cylinders is cream crackered or the bleeding wasn't done too well at the recent change of fluid.
Could have put the rong spec fluid in also. how are the brakes working. I think they share the same reservoir.

This could all be [email protected]$&s as I don't know the 156 system as well as the 147/GT

·
Registered
528 Posts
The most obvious thing is the master cylinder as you say it happens after about an hour's use. I think it's unlikely to be the 'one way valve' clutch damper as it is merely a chamber to take the impact out of the clutch return, it doesn't have any moving parts. The only problem it can give is to leak which would be obvious.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts