Real name

Antonio Chico

Lives

In Guatemala City

Marital Status

Divorced

What cars do you drive and why?

’99 Chevrolet Blazer

Well, it’s a subproduct of a failed marriage. It was her car (actually mine as I bought it), but I liked it so much that I use it most of the time now. It’s got several bumps and scratches (none made by me), and if something happens to it, I don’t care. And since it’s bigger than lots of cars, I get more respect from other drivers, and can be a complete ******* while driving it, if need be. :D

’02 Alfa 156 V6, Sportpacked

Used to be my dream car. Now I’m not so certain anymore… I almost never use it anymore, I get too crazy behind the wheel with it, and since I DO care about it, I get nervous while I’m out with it. However, each time I take it out, I have a blast. :D

Would you describe yourself as passionate about Alfa Romeo?

Well, I smile whenever I see one, I don’t know if that counts. :D And I’d really like to be able to keep owning more as time goes by.

What or how started your passion for Alfa Romeo and…
… do you think it’s fundamental to own one to have the passion?

Well, the first time I saw a 156 was while playing Gran Turismo 2, I don’t think I’d ever seen one IRL back then. After a while, I became quite a fan, and I finally decided to go to the dealer to make up my mind, as I thought that it would be so expensive that I wouldn’t be able to afford one. As it turned out, I WAS able to afford one, so I did. Exactly like I wanted it, BTW. :D

However, the car that rekindled my passion for Alfa Romeo was a silver 166, I saw it once from the side as I was driving along a boulevard, and the form of the doors, with that canal, just left me speechless.

But, the first time I really liked an Alfa Romeo was when I saw the Alfa 33, in Spain. Afterwards I completely forgot about it since the brand was very rare here in Guatemala.

Oh, and it’s not a must to own one to have the passion. I had it before, that’s why I bought one. :D

How popular is Alfa Romeo in your neck of the woods?

Not so popular, but I see them pretty often, maybe one every two days or so. And it’s a bit expensive here too. A basic 2 liter version is now more expensive than my loaded V6 back in 2002. And, it’s pretty hard to sell them afterwards. Believe me, I’ve tried…

What do you like best about Alfas?

The exclusivity, and that it drives like a dream. Not to mention that the 156 is an absolute beauty. :cool:

What do you like least about Alfas?

It’s lack of reliability. I’ve been hit pretty hard by that…

What would be your dream cars?

As a daily driver, maybe a new Mustang GT, a Chrysler Crossfire, maybe even a Seat León Turbo. :D Or, get this, a late ‘70’s, early ‘80’s Chevrolet Suburban diesel. It just screams “Get the hell outta my way!!” :cool: Oh, and of course, a 156 GTA. :cool: :cool: :cool:

I may go as far as picking a real rice-rocket, like a Scooby STi or a Mitsubishi Evolution.

Next notch, something for the weekends, A Maserati 3200 GT. It’s simply beautiful. Or a Corvette Z06, they handle like a dream. Or even an NSX, truly driver cars.

And if I wanted to go nuts all the way, a Ferrari F355 Berlinetta, simply beautiful. Or a Porsche GT2, I truly admire their performance.

What car would you least like to own?

Well, a BMW, at least not here in Guatemala. People here tend to buy them for the status it represents, and I wouldn’t buy a car for that reason. Also, any underpowered car, driving one is an exercise in frustration for me. Oh, and especially, a boring and common car. There are many Blazers around here, but in the end it IS a fun car to drive, and it’s not underpowered, oh no. :D

What's your favourite thread on AO?

There are too many to mention.

What would be your ideal drive in an Alfa (destination, passenger, driving music, etc)? Going to La Antigua Guatemala and back. It’s got pretty much something for every taste, including a mountain road with steep inclination, and plenty of tight corners. Music?? Well, it would depend on the mood I was at that moment. And a passenger, somebody that understood what sporty driving is, and that would not scream if I went fast, quite possibly another AO. :D

Any humorous Alfa or car-related stories you wish to share with us?

Countless times that people want to get on the rear seats of the 156 and can’t find the door handles… That one gets me every time. :cheese: :cool:

What interests do you have outside of Alfas?

Music, videogames, and other cars. Oh, and I love learning to speak languages. I speak Spanish, English, I can defend myself pretty nicely in German, and I’m now studying French. My holy grail in that regard is Japanese. I just LOVE the way it sounds and really wish to be able to learn to speak it one day. I haven’t found where, though…
Tell us something nobody knows about you. (e.g. special skill, ever been on TV, etc)

I was in a couple of TV spots when I was very very young, around 7 or 8 years old. :D

What do you like most about the Alfaowner forum? Any favourite threads, episodes or posts you wish to share?

It’s actually an extension of my family and friends. It’s funny, but there are some things I’ve only told you guys, and nobody else, that’s how much I trust you and how much you’ve helped me, in more ways than one.

Also the fact that you feel ok in there, there is no pressure, no one blasting everything, and we can (almost) always get away when going off topic. :D That’s a very particular treat I like about AO. I haven’t found that anywhere else. :D

Also, that almost all of us are pretty mature when needed, and we can honestly feel safe here posting more important or personal things.

Oh, and I really want to meet you guys, so far, I’ve only had the pleasure of meeting Toronto Spider.

And the final question: Will you ever stop switching avatars :D

Not a chance. :D

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Nice interview Ant. :) I like the fact that you are able to be reasonable about your Alfa and about the vehicles from other manufacturers. It seems the AO.com population is becoming more and more bad snobbish as time goes by, and that's something I find quite sad, especially as this forum is supposed to be populated by people who enjoy all aspects of motoring.

Meeting you and your family was both a real treat and a great honour. I really do intend to get together with you again, but on your home turf. And next time you come here, listen to me, and don't come out when then heavens are pouring. :D
--Toronto

·
Premium Member
38,310 Posts
Cheers guys, I was just checking if mine was up, and yes, it was. :D

Thanks for your comments. :)

And no, I try to keep my focus open to other cars too, and I just realized by filling the interview that I like several American cars... How weird is that... :confused: :D

·
Registered
45,472 Posts
That was a nice read :) Cheers Aunty :D

·
Premium Member
38,310 Posts
Thanks guys. :D

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
That was a very interesting read :) . Thanks for letting us into your life Aunty :p ;)

Let us know if you are ever coming over this side of the pond - sounds like a perfect excuse for an AO meet. :cool:

Not sure about the avatar, tho'..... :eek: :(

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Thank you Ant. :) I must thank you for a couple of things you said but that I wont mention, I'll just leave you to think about them. ;)

It was really nice to hear your opinion and wishes about so many things, including those American tractors. :D

:)

·
Premium Member
38,310 Posts
Well, I'm seriously thinking about going to Europe for a meet next year, let's see if I can make it happen. :D

And what's wrong with my current avatar?? :D ;)

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mmm, you might consider brushing it's teeth, and pouring a few gallons of listerine down it's throat :D

·
Premium Member
38,310 Posts
Hoygaard said:
Mmm, you might consider brushing it's teeth, and pouring a few gallons of listerine down it's throat :D
The only thing that's going down it's throat is a whole ammo belt from a chaingun, or a blast from a BFG 9000... :eek:

I haven't gotten to the part where they appear, but I know they're tough as nails, just like in the first two Dooms... :eek: :D

Oh, and cheer fellas. :) :cool:

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Ant said:
Well, I'm seriously thinking about going to Europe for a meet next year, let's see if I can make it happen. :D
Well that's about time! :D By then I would have made another trip around Europe and probably be living somewhere else. :)

·
Premium Member
38,310 Posts
THROTTLEMAN said:
Well that's about time! :D By then I would have made another trip around Europe and probably be living somewhere else. :)
Why am I not surprised... :D

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
go wash your mouth about the comments made towards American cars :rant:
and then get your b u t t over to Europe :D
@Toronto: I'm sure you mean badge snobbish? :p ;)

·
Premium Member
38,310 Posts
Wimster said:
go wash your mouth about the comments made towards American cars :rant:
and then get your b u t t over to Europe :D
@Toronto: I'm sure you mean badge snobbish? :p ;)
I take it you don't like American cars... :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts