Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a fan of the 6speed lush gear box, but there really hard to find..............so what the auto version like..............any good?

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Sportronic (Only 1 t) gets good reports and sold more than manual so must mean something - I think a lot of people think auto is a must for a big motor!

I almost went for a sportronic as manuals were scarce, but I am glad that I held out for what I really wanted. Sportronic is almost 1 second down on the 0-62 dash and around 1mpg down on consumption.

Take your time and get what YOU want!

Auto trader manual gearbox search, unfortunately all models, the 3.0 Super in pearlescent with 84.5k miles for £2995 (8 down on list) looks a nice motor and good price from a dealer -
http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ww...ap&ukcarsearch_full.x=39&ukcarsearch_full.y=6

Ebay -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2000-ALFA-ROM...oryZ9834QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alfa-Romeo-16...oryZ9834QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Or mine ;) -
http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a381/dougie20vt/166 Super/

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
i wanted a manual but found an auto in the right spec so bought that, and i love it:D , id love to compare my sportronic against a manual over a standing 1/4 mile;) Santa pod anyone?? i think its faster than the book figures, from 30 mph to 140mph the 166 is a damn quick car. as for economy if i gave a **** about that id have bought a diesel corrolla:eek: not a V6 alfa:D

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Sportronic (Only 1 t) gets good reports and sold more than manual so must mean something - I think a lot of people think auto is a must for a big motor!

Auto trader manual gearbox search, unfortunately all models, the 3.0 Super in pearlescent with 84.5k miles for £2995 (8 down on list) looks a nice motor and good price from a dealer -

:wow: Thats a bargain esh n dougie >IIRC the pearlescent option as an extra was around that price when the car was new.

Pomeo

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got a 3.0 6 speed manual, and my mate has a 3.0 sportronic, identical cars really. My manual is definitely quicker, from rest to 100 plus, but only if you change gear pretty damn quick, otherwise there's not really a lot in it.
Can't say how reliable the sportronic might be, but I just remember the arms length that everyone leaves the 156 / 147 selespeeds at. They have a reputation for reliability issues ?
As to the manual 6 speed, just don't buy one with a slightly sticky clutch pedal. After replacing the Slave, then Master, then biting the bullet at a new clutch, we found out that the 166 has the clutch take up springs in the flywheel, not the clutch drive plate, and the engine TDC sensor is at the flywheel end as well. Guess what, one of the clutch take up springs was snapped, and I needed a new flywheel as well !!!!!
What's more galling is that although my manual 166 is faster than the sportronic, it's still slower all the way from rest to 100 than my 24v Cloverleaf with it's 5 speed box. So much for progress there then ??

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Cloverleaf was 230bhp though, 5 or 6 speed not an issue at 100mph.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I held out for a 6 speed manual box and wouldn't go for the Sportronic. It's not just the performance figures, it's one of the reasons for buying a car like this. There's the style, the sound and the fact that you want to really drive it, not let it drive you. Using the manual box is an important part of that for me.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The very good Autospeed web site did a good honest review of the 166 3.0 Auto. They hated it, but that is beside the point. They drive their cars hard on good and bad surfaces and give honest findings.

The only real failing on which the based their criticism was a complete mis-match between the auto box and the engine power band (and brutal suspension and so so brakes, also true, but thats another story)

If you look at a dynograph of the Alfa v6s, all Alfa v6s, there is a HUGE jump in torque at 3500 - 4000 revs. With a manual box you work around this and make a virtue of it, therefore most people with a pulse adore manual alfa v6s, BUT, if the auto box is not smart enough, and the suggestion is that it is not, then you can find yourself at the wrong end of that torque jump when you least want to be.

Read the Autospeed 166 review (Skip the fable bit at the top). Its eyewateringly critical and harsh, but very informative nonetheless.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
once you learn where the power is it quite easy to keep the revs there with the auto, in reality a bigger limiting factor with the 166 is the fact that it is FWD, trying to get 220bhp through the front wheels with no TC is 'fun', at least with the auto you have both hands on the wheel when the power comes in, but with no TC id argue that it is more of a drivers car because you are doing the work not the car, but if you want a drivers car buy a GTV with the 3l v6 not the 166. the 166 is the first auto ive ever had and it may not be up to BMW standards but i do like it, the manual may be marginally quicker but the auto is very easy to live with, especially in heavy traffic, but in sport mode is great fun, and in sportronic mode is just like a manual but albeit with only 4 gears. in a sportscar id buy a manual everytime but in a large saloon doing lots of miles up and down a motorway then auto is a must. having said all this in defence of the auto if id have bought my 166 new id have gone for the manual:D :D as in 2000 i was 100% a manual guy, never even considered auto as an option.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Go for the manual i own a Sport-tronic here in Australia as this is the only version they sold here. It is not really a good match for the engine with only 4 speeds and was actually much better suited in the 164 as the 12v has more torque down load when compared with the 24v. It doesn't kick-down like other modern autos do and when you put it in Sport it holds onto 2 gear for way too long and won't change up also will not pick up 4th gear until you are doing over 100k when in sport. Although it is a smooth gearbox it really needs an extra ratio and even though they tried to modernise the gearbox with different shift patterns they haven't really calibrated the gearbox well. Case in point it lets the engine drop revs to much before it kicks down putting the engine right out of its powerband. Go for the manual if they had of sold them here in OZ i would have bought one instead.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the reason i asked i have seen a 99% clone of my 166 with all the full works, same colour, seats are in 100% condition................but its auto so im thinking maybe give it a try, but id def miss the manual!.....guess one will come up soon! Dougie offered me his, tempted to buy it!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sportronic box is VERY reliable, I had one (Ive owned 50 + ALfas) and loved it!

They are totally diferent system to the Selespeed. Performance may not be as sharp as a manual, but when you learn to play with the box its great!

They have an inteligent ecu so that it will alter how and when it changes to suit how you are driving.
ie: If you thrash it, the box will change down earlier etc. It adapts to the way you are driving at the time.

·
Registered
741 Posts
seriously thinking of an auto now my 3.0 super 6 speed gearbox has broken.
Are the auto's still reliable?
Can I have fun driving a slush-box, honestly?

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have fun in mine all the time, sport mode is excellent, makes little devil horns pop out your head! :) As stated before the ecu learns how you drive, so in auto it changes when it likes and feels slow until you really push it, in sport you pretty much have full control over how long you can hold the revs in a gear for.

I use sport mode for over taking, push it across drop a gear or 2 depending on speed and it si right in the power band! And it's greta in london traffic for me as it is all stop start!

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
By Sport Mode do you mean manual control as opposed to the Sport Mode button?

In my 156 Qsystem I find the sport button a waste of time and I use either normal auto or manual mode. In manual mode you have almost the same control as you do in a normal manual car and can hold the car in any gear or revs all the way to the red line if you wanted.

I drive 100kms a day and find the Qsystem a great car for town and open road - can be very relaxed or a real rush depending how you feel.

The biggest draw back is the limited number of gears but with a 3.0 V6 it maybe less of an issue as it has more torque than the 2.5 V6

1 - 15 of 15 Posts