Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
God knows the Sportronic gearbox has fewer gears than we'd like, but mine is reluctant even to use all the ratios it has available - under certain circumstances.

What I'm finding is that (in Normal mode), following a period of heavy acceleration (eg an overtaking manoeuvre) the box will hold onto 3rd gear and not upshift to 4th. Now much as I enjoy listening to my motor spinning at 6000rpm, I don't expect to do so for more than a few seconds at a time - so I end up flicking to Sport, then manually selecting 4th before anything bad happens.

Given I've not had the car for too long, I figure an ECU reset might be worthwhile so the adaptive mechanism can start adapting to my style of driving.

Can anyone confirm this is the correct procedure (taken from another post on this forum):

- Disconnect battery either leave for ages or short the disconnected leads to discharge any residual charge.
- Reconnect battery.
- Turn ignition on but don't start engine, leave for 90 secs - inlet throttle body will be whirring and clicking to self adjust/trim.
- Turn off for 90 secs.
- Start engine but don't touch throttle, leave until engine warms up to normal (fans come on)
- Turn off.
- Start engine and go for an enthusaistic spin.spin

... and does this reset the engine/throttle and gearbox ECUs???

Alternatively, it looks like Multiecuscan has an option to reset the gearbox ECU. Has anyone tried this - and does it have a different effect than the above procedure?

thanks all,

Jeremy

·
Registered
537 Posts
Hi, that was the procedure I used and it worked. Have you checked atf levels to see if you are a "quart low" that might affect gear changes and it the gearbox in need an atf change?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts