Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone i know i've already asked this but thought i'd try again...
On my 166 2.5 sportronic i have the following problem.
If i disconnect and reconnect the battery i can get sport mode, but as soon as i put it back over to neutral,reverse or park the gearbox warning light comes on. shame cos i love the manual option.
Gonna try the ecu reset but does anyone else have experience of this fault?

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS
5,165 Posts
So if you start the car does the red light comes on straight away or not until you try sports mode then back again.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if the battery has been dis then re connected the light wont come on until its gone into sport mode and back to park. once the light is on it stays on if you turn the car off and on again.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Have you checked the gearbox Ecuador hidden behind the ics? The heater matrix leeaks and goes all over the Ecuador causing allsorts of issues!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats behind the pull away panels and right under the ics right? square grey box?i did check and it felt bone dry.and i covered it over with a plastic bag. no moisture or signs of moisture there. ive put radseal into the system as a precaution anyway. the gearchanges are smooth so not sure if its gearbox oil as i previously thought. bit frustrating as i love having the choice of manual or auto

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cheers guys. where in that pic should i be checking Paul? i did have a look under the gear gaiter a few days ago but didnt remove anything.

S

·
0 Posts
Hey everyone i know i've already asked this but thought i'd try again...
On my 166 2.5 sportronic i have the following problem.
If i disconnect and reconnect the battery i can get sport mode, but as soon as i put it back over to neutral,reverse or park the gearbox warning light comes on. shame cos i love the manual option.
Gonna try the ecu reset but does anyone else have experience of this fault?
Completely off topic I know but did your user name come from the film Event Horizon?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sergio- no mate its my old DJ name from the mid 90s that stuck with me. amazingly when i found my 166 for sale and it had the DJT at the end of reg number i knew it had to be mine! Free personalized plate!

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS
5,165 Posts
Yep that's them. Cleaned and checked for correct operation would be good.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well ive found the culprit, not only of the non-working sport mode, but also my gearbox warning light. it was the little switch with a wheel type thing that presses against the middle brown microchip thing under the gearshifter when engaging sport.
it was loose, took it off and now no warning light! when i pressed the button into the microchip myself sport mode came up on the display. will try and re fit tomorrow methinks.
scarily, when i went to start the car after all that fiddling, the code light was on. scary cos i dont have the code or a spare key. can anyone recommend the cheapest way to get the code or a new key made?

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS
5,165 Posts
Disconnect the battery then make make sure all the connections are good including the gear selection display next to the gear selection lever. Then re connect the battery.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I HAVE SPORT MODE! HAPPY FREAKIN DAYS.
re attached the tiny metal bit with the plastic wheel. now for a bit of sportiness!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Congratulations!

I (& many others I'm sure) are impressed at your perseverance.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts