Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can somebody please? my 2000 166 3.0 has a problem going into sport mode, so can only drive it in auto mode. what could be the problem? I also have a warning sign that has just come on indicating the bonnet. I do not have the owner's manual or warning light codes information.

·
Registered
754 Posts
can somebody please? my 2000 166 3.0 has a problem going into sport mode, so can only drive it in auto mode. what could be the problem? I also have a warning sign that has just come on indicating the bonnet. I do not have the owner's manual or warning light codes information.
IIRC when the bonnet is open you're put in a safe mode by the ECU. And IIRC again, that prevents you going into sports mode. Acceleration / revs are also limited. I had this a few years ago but my memory is misty as it didn't last long. I fiddled with the bonnet catch a bit which solved it. That probably got the microswitch for the bonnet working well again.

If the two issues are separate then think again...

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
Best way to check if the bonnet or anything else is open.not functioning as it shoulds ie doors bunnet boot aka trunk...is,if and only if thge alarm works properly..IS

After setting the alarm if all is ~A1 OK then silence.

if any of the systems connected are open etc.....the alarm sets as normal...then a few seconds later you get a beep.....this I found by experience and wondered WTF was wrong.

What I have noted tho..the auto warning light causes considerable confusion to folk who dont ken watt it is....I am not immune as, even wie mah experience,my "new" super as thon anti skid thingymahbob...dsr or asp or wtf and I thought the thing in the rear window was a car phone aerial..fun oot in the dark last night it is a revering sensor with lights on it...Nowt in hawnbook...will require further investigation.

Also considerable confusion when i first drove her after purcghase in the dark..Eye kent she wiz a manual but bee beeo beep like road runner and a sportrtonic...yep reversin sensors....wer they original alfa option?

The autobox warning light does look like a bunnet open a dipstick and loads of others...BUT its the sportronic waning light.

Leagan ..somewhere on here is a link to a handbook search 166 manual and it should pop up..its not a manual its a handbook. (Link now above {If your on in the near future } {esle see
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-164-and-166/112256-users-guide-an-service-manual-for-166-a.html#post2298029
found in stu the hooses' manuel.)

Me and elbarto are on the thread IIRC he did the link.

If nowt else its yer strater for 10 from Bamber Pomeo gascoine. :cheese:

Pomeo

·
Registered
754 Posts
The autobox warning light does look like a bunnet open a dipstick and loads of others...BUT its the sportronic waning light.
:eek:

Amazing that I am still learning things like that after years of ownership. I was convinced when I saw it way back when that the bonnet was open :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
.. And it leads me to the question what light does flash up if your bonnet is open :confused:
Well the truth be told Paul,more of a 156 problem than a 166 but not exclusive, yer life flashes before your eyes just before you see the stars when the bonnet strikes the roof the roof strikes yer napper...heid.and then the pain.......so as you say they have a boot warning light on the wee car schematic on the dash BUTT nothing for the bunnet and the boot presents no problem unles stacked wie xmas presents and the bonnet can take yer life away.

Pomeo.

OOPS:eek:

Also GTV
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gtv-and-916-spider/64580-gtv-bonnet-catch-failure.html
but more 147 and 156's IIRC.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/204089-147-bonnet-catch-failed-write-off.html

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/107254-r-i-p.htmlA

And the unforgetable

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/66079-alfa-romeo-156-bonnet-catch.html

bigger problem on the 166 is you cant get the bonnet openned up.

Perhaps it was designed for going everywhere in reverse.:wow::tut:the old ones are the best.;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all ya who responded to my question, especially Paul for the advice. I fiddled with the bonnet catch, shut it hard, and the warning disappeared, and miracle of miracles, I can also select and drive in sport mode. Am puzzled, though: what's the connection between the open bonnet and gear selection/drive mode? Alfa quirks, perhaps?:) :confused:

·
Registered
761 Posts
Quite simply, it wouldn't be safe to drive at speed with the bonnet unsecured, hence the ECU going in to safe mode. Very clever actually.

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
Thanks to all ya who responded to my question, especially Paul for the advice. I fiddled with the bonnet catch, shut it hard, and the warning disappeared, and miracle of miracles, I can also select and drive in sport mode. Am puzzled, though: what's the connection between the open bonnet and gear selection/drive mode? Alfa quirks, perhaps?:) :confused:
I wood suggest this may have cured it.

Quite simply, it wouldn't be safe to drive at speed with the bonnet unsecured, hence the ECU going in to safe mode. Very clever actually.
So how fast would it go in ordinary auto?

Pomeo
Eye must try this at first opportunity and report back.
Drive with bunnet on the latch and see what's what.
Eye assume this disnay apply to manual cars...if not why not.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Eye assume this disnay apply to manual cars...if not why not.
I don't know how the limp modes are set up between the gearbox and engine ECUs but presumably it's because they don't have the sporto ECU via which such trickery can happen. Maybe it does; I don't have a manual 166 to check...

All I can say is that I had these same symptoms a while back and all along I've thought that dash light showed the bonnet open - until I read the manual after reading your post!

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
well tried it oot BUTT will require further investigation.

Leagan Paul...
were you motors built on a Mon Wed Fri or Tue Thu Weekend.

Pomeo

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
Forgot to add my bonnet opens and closes itself always between the auto change from 1 to 2 BUTT you have tyo quick to see it if you blink you miss it.

Pomeo

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
Still going well Leagen?

Pomeo

·
Registered
641 Posts
My FL 3.0 sporto still displays "boot open" when I go into SPORT (most of the time). It is not, however, affecting the gear mode at all. All changes and manual shifts work. A silly electrical fault I'm sure.

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
My FL 3.0 sporto still displays "boot open" when I go into SPORT (most of the time). It is not, however, affecting the gear mode at all. All changes and manual shifts work. A silly electrical fault I'm sure.
D are you talking about the real boot open ay the bottom of the car emblem or the auto box warning light that looks like a boot/bunnet open.

Jist fur clarity

Pomeo

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS
5,166 Posts
Its a picture of a gear box with a gear stick, strange as it is not what its like in real life but more of a symbol.:confused: if you get me.

·
Registered
220 Posts
in my case of gearbox light coming on and no sport mode- it was the little strip of metal that pushes against the middle microswitch under gearstick.wasnt quite pushing the button in that activates sport mode. keeps slipping away again every day though. most annoying.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts