Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
i got hankooks on the front. they do everything the pirellis do, and are lasting better. Got nexens on the back.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
He can only get P Zero Nero, Conti sport 3 or Accelera's in that size.

I have only had the P zero and the Accelera in the 19, though previously was dissapointed on the 156 when I swapped P zero Rosso's for the Sport Contact 2

We also have the Hankook Evo's on the Mito and they do the same job as the P zero did on that car to be honest.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I thought my P zeros were Ok until I had to go out in the snow where I found they were completely useless. So when they needed replacing I changed to Continental Sport Contact 3. Now on the same hill with the same amount of snow I have no trouble at all. :)

·
Registered
813 Posts
I am on my second full set of P Zero Nero's (18"). Cant fault them. Some say they are noisy but i dont really notice it. Superb grip in the wet and dry. Cant comment on the Conti's.....

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
+1 (but mine are 19 inch). The 'Y' rating will be terrible if the snow comes but they are superb in fast direction change.

My comment above is related to the Continentals being available in this...

235/40 R19 96W XL with raised rim rib

·
Registered
87 Posts
Be very interested to see if you get them what you think - Im on the Pirellis, but will have to do my fronts in spring and can get Contis cheap through work, but have been very pleased with the factory spec P Zeros, just dont fancy the price tag!

I had Conti Sport Contact 2s on my 156 2.4 and was impressed with them. Would be nice to have some kerb protection if Contact 3s have the raised rib, very vunerable with the Pirellis

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
I thought my P zeros were Ok until I had to go out in the snow where I found they were completely useless. So when they needed replacing I changed to Continental Sport Contact 3. Now on the same hill with the same amount of snow I have no trouble at all. :)
Yes the P zero Nero is completely useless in this scenario, hence I didnt even consider them for the MiTo because we cant have both cars being completely useless!

This is the reason I popped Accelera's on the front for the winter and stuck the Pirelli's in the shed.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I have no idea what people before me are thinking, but PZero Neros are definitely the worst tires I ever had. And you never compare summer tires in the snow... :tut:

They have the price tag of PZero Rossos and the performance of some cheap chinese knock offs.
They are incredibly noisy, corner like crap, they are unpredictable in wet and they wear out faster than race slick tires. Pirelli does some of the best tires available today, but PZero Neros aren't one of them.

Not a fan of Contis, but SC3 and SC5 don't wear that fast, are quieter and handle better on wet.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I didn't notice much difference between PZNs and SC3 other than the noise. PZNs were much quieter than the SC3s they replaced.

How do Alfa choose? I see some people have Pirelli from the factory but 159 ti came with Continental.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The handbook says only fit Pirelli on the 19" rims. They do extensive testing of different tyres before launch but in Italy Im sure it comes down to backhanders

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
Are tyres expensive in the UK?

FWIW, I bought a set of CSC3 from tirerack.com (US) for our 159Ti last month. Locally, I was being quoted A$630 per tyre, fitted and balanced. From the US to AU, they cost me under A$400 each, delivered (5 business days), and my dealer fitted them for A$25 each.

I haven't used the PZero for this car, but I'm very happy with the CSC3. Nor do we have snow anywhere near where I live! ;) Nice and sunny here. :D

:)

·
Registered
87 Posts
On blackcircles.com 235/40 R19 Y (96) Pirelli is £312 and Conti £255 each, fitted. Thats $487 (US) or $478 (Aus) each for Pirelli, so it depends how deep your pockets are as to whether you think thats expensive or not!

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
I didn't notice much difference between PZNs and SC3 other than the noise. PZNs were much quieter than the SC3s they replaced.

How do Alfa choose? I see some people have Pirelli from the factory but 159 ti came with Continental.
They came with either the Pirelli or the Continental from the factory, the Brera S only ever had the Pirelli as that was the tyre chosen by Prodrive and the one they did their set up with.

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
On blackcircles.com 235/40 R19 Y (96) Pirelli is £312 and Conti £255 each, fitted. Thats $487 (US) or $478 (Aus) each for Pirelli, so it depends how deep your pockets are as to whether you think thats expensive or not!
Thanks for the info. As such, in the US, 'tires' are very cheap there (the CSC are US$281 from tirerack.com (plus delivery), making it 'economical' for me to import to the AU. In the UK, your tyre prices seem very reasonable; more than what I had to import mine for, but far cheaper than a local AU tyre. As with most things, the cost of transport and economy of scales (ie: small market) make things expensive here!

Probably not worth UK people buying from the US.

:)

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte
1,764 Posts
Check kwikfit I got pirellis for £254 fitted. Blackcircles gone expensive now.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Good deals at KwikFit? Blimey! Well if the Contis are getting as good reviews as the Pirellis, I guess the best thing is phone everyone nearby and just go with the best deal on either

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have no idea what people before me are thinking, but PZero Neros are definitely the worst tires I ever had. And you never compare summer tires in the snow... :tut:

They have the price tag of PZero Rossos and the performance of some cheap chinese knock offs.
They are incredibly noisy, corner like crap, they are unpredictable in wet and they wear out faster than race slick tires. Pirelli does some of the best tires available today, but PZero Neros aren't one of them.

Not a fan of Contis, but SC3 and SC5 don't wear that fast, are quieter and handle better on wet.
Worst tyres you have ever had??? That really shocks me. Prior to my p zero neros I had kumho's and they were no where near as good. Took my Brera round spa last year and the p zeros were incredible!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts