Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I'm sure that a lot of you will share my passion for keeping your Bella (mines a facelift 156) clean and that's exactly what I was doing today but something has stumped me in the engine bay :paranoid:

Where the wings meet the windscreen there is a kind of rubber sponge jammed in there and mine were totally soaked with water :-S surely water being held against metal for prolonged periods of time isint great? So first what are these sponges for? And second when I pulled them out to squeeze the water from then there appears to be a he'll of a lot of dirt and leaves in the area they occupy? Best way to clean this all out as access is limited? Stick a jet wash nozzle in there? Lol

Kind regards guys and girls :biglaugh:

Matt

·
Registered
2010 Giulietta 2.0 JTDm2
1,094 Posts
There are drains under the sponge blocks, so best to clean out the leaves and gunk or you'll end up with the strut top mounts rotted out. No idea whether there is any detriment to removing them altogether.

From memory the drain holes arrest the front of the recess. Try a bit of stiffish wire and poke the gunk out, then pour some warm water in to clear it out.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I changed my 156 for a 159 back in March but whilst I don't remember seeing the sponge you mentioned in that position, I do remember there being some spongy insulation material that also looked very absorbent, between the base of the front wings and the bodywork behind it, visible with the front doors open.

I always thought that looked like a bad idea and a rust trap in the making.... :irked:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah legends! All of you thanks for the help! At least I know what I'm looking at and have some idea of how to clean the area I'm probably remove these in all honesty then as I think the more you can hear that beautiful alfa engine the better :) and seems there's no real reason beyond it stopping noise and being a rust trap lol silly Italians but I love what they do :):thumbup:

G

·
I removed mine to clean out the crud under them and left them out for a while.

In the cabin you get a high pitched whistle without them in place.

I assume a desperate 'fix' at Alfa when they realised their stuff up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I removed mine to clean out the crud under them and left them out for a while.

In the cabin you get a high pitched whistle without them in place.

I assume a desperate 'fix' at Alfa when they realised their stuff up.
Oooh that could get annoying lol I wonder if anyone has found a replacement or mod to sort this lol I can't live with rust but I sure as he'll can't live with bonnie whistling at me lol

·
Registered
30,397 Posts
Oooh that could get annoying lol I wonder if anyone has found a replacement or mod to sort this lol I can't live with rust but I sure as he'll can't live with bonnie whistling at me lol
I used to squeeze the water out of these spongy bits after washing the car.
But I have to say that the car didn't rust in that area at all. So probably nothing to worry about.
The floor however is a different matter!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used to squeeze the water out of these spongy bits after washing the car.
But I have to say that the car didn't rust in that area at all. So probably nothing to worry about.
The floor however is a different matter!!
I seem to have been lucky with the floor on mine :biglaugh: but she's going in for undersealing next month. You reckon it'll be alright then?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Hi

I wondered about what to do with these while rebuilding my car. And what i came up with is take them all out give them a good clean and then dry them, I cheated and put them in a box with a hair dryer on but airing cupboard will do as long as dry all the way through .

Then goto a camping shop and buy a can of water proofing and give them a good spray,
Then the water just runs down where it can and out the holes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi

I wondered about what to do with these while rebuilding my car. And what i came up with is take them all out give them a good clean and then dry them, I cheated and put them in a box with a hair dryer on but airing cupboard will do as long as dry all the way through .

Then goto a camping shop and buy a can of water proofing and give them a good spray,
Then the water just runs down where it can and out the holes.
Ah perfect :yes: well that's the problem solved! Cheers all

·
Registered
518 Posts
mirlock is spot on - when new they aren't absorbent, they become so over time. I've seen people wrapping them in gaffa tape :)

Their primary purpose is to plug that gap so it doesn't fill up with gunk and leaves etc. and lots of cars have similar items.

·
Registered
30,397 Posts
mirlock is spot on - when new they aren't absorbent, they become so over time.
They were absorbent from new.
They probably do get worse with age, but they were like it from new.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
The body is gavenised anyway so long as you don't scratch the pants out the body I doubt it will rust that much.

·
Registered
30,397 Posts
The body is galvanised anyway so long as you don't scratch the pants out the body I doubt it will rust that much.
Depends on the quality of the galvanising and how well the paint has stuck to it (which is down to how well the body was prep'd for paint). Clearly they didn't pay any attention to the floors...

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Mine must be one of the only ones that did well. I think having darker metallic paint that was quite rare actually helped.

I've still got those weird little sponges in there and they've not caused any issues so far.
I guess other's might be different.

Also I imagine the chaps doing the underneath didn't do the paint on the bodies. So I would hope that they are machine painted and thus would all be very similar.
Where as the underneath might be a completely different story.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts