Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am begining to think i am spoilt :( As i get bored of cars quite quickly i have been looking at other cars to possibly buy. Im missing the sound and go of big engine petrols, but not missing the economy of my previous V6's. So, ive looked at golf GTI's...boring and interior looks cheap. So, focus ST's...nice engine & looks but the interior is junk compared to the 159. So, astra VXR...cant really find a good point here and the interior is also junk compared to the 159. 350Z,RX8(again),R32,Brera V6 and similar all drink fuel.

My issue is all these cars interiors look awful compared to the 159 Ti, and the others drink fuel. I love my 159 2.4 but it just feels a bit slow.I'd like a 159 3.2 but cant see it being much quicker than my 2.4. I know i could remap it but i cant help but think it will only make the engine a bit perkier rather than turn it into a monster.

Between a rock and a hard place

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
You'd be amazed by a remap

G

·
Remap sounds the logical answer to me. I test drove a 159 2.4 pre a remap a few years ago and I was quite underwhelmed, I phoned Nigel at Angel before deciding if to buy it or not and he was not surprised I wasn't too keen but assured me I would feel differently after a remap...and he was not wrong. It transformed the car and it left many a more powerful car behind at times. Wish I had kept it now!!! It was as quick as the 3.2 but with about 15 mpg extra (still didn't sound great though which is always the thing that makes me get rid of diesels eventually)

I know what you mean though, I miss a powerful petrol engined car. I've also looked at pretty much everything on your list (RX8 several times) but I can't find one car that ticks all the boxes. The GT 3.2 V6 is the car for me I think...unfortunately I can't seem to sell my GT 1.9 to enable me to buy another one

I do think you have the best all round Alfa though...best looking, practical, economical and fast ( with a remap ;) )

·
Registered
22,305 Posts
Am begining to think i am spoilt :( As i get bored of cars quite quickly i have been looking at other cars to possibly buy. Im missing the sound and go of big engine petrols, but not missing the economy of my previous V6's. So, ive looked at golf GTI's...boring and interior looks cheap. So, focus ST's...nice engine & looks but the interior is junk compared to the 159. So, astra VXR...cant really find a good point here and the interior is also junk compared to the 159. 350Z,RX8(again),R32,Brera V6 and similar all drink fuel.

My issue is all these cars interiors look awful compared to the 159 Ti, and the others drink fuel. I love my 159 2.4 but it just feels a bit slow.I'd like a 159 3.2 but cant see it being much quicker than my 2.4. I know i could remap it but i cant help but think it will only make the engine a bit perkier rather than turn it into a monster.

Between a rock and a hard place
I know exactly what you meen i have been looking around to see what i can find to replace my 159. There is nothing around that has the interior looks of the 159 i have looked at Scoobys, Evos, Scirocco's, Mercs all very boring inside really don't know what next:confused: Speced up a C30 volvo looks good in pictures but would have to see it in the metal before i go any further

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
You guys want to look at the interior of a Subaru TriBeCa. 3ltr flat 6 petrol. I've just traded one in for a 159. For reasons based around fuel economy :)

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Ive been in the habbit of changing my car every year.... until i got the 159.
Wont be getting rid of her for a while now :)

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0?
I do like these but the only decent ones are 3.0l and juicy. But i do like the 135i but costs ££££££'s

Audi TTS?
Nice but costs a fortune

Boring inside and a bit clinical

But thanks for all the comments. Just been for a run in it and it really is a superb car. The sound isnt too bad with the 5 pot warble and i even like its growl around crawling speeds. Its too much car and too nicer car to get rid of. Angel Tuning......lets be havin ya :lol:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mate I'd second the remap. It won't turn the car into a monster but its definitely much much faster! Really becomes a drivers car after that.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I do like these but the only decent ones are 3.0l and juicy. But i do like the 135i but costs ££££££'s

Nice but costs a fortune

Boring inside and a bit clinical

But thanks for all the comments. Just been for a run in it and it really is a superb car. The sound isnt too bad with the 5 pot warble and i even like its growl around crawling speeds. Its too much car and too nicer car to get rid of. Angel Tuning......lets be havin ya :lol:
I hear you. However, if you look into the mpg of the 3.0 Si Z4 it is actually a very economical for a 3.0...

However, I am sure a remap will increase your affection for your 159 and may keep your hunger for more power sated... for a little while! ;-)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
P.S. I cannot stop thinking about remapped 335i coupes!

Beautiful understated car, immense build quality and 360 - 380 bhp post remap.

Nice!!!

It is gonna be between one of them and a Cayman for the next change I think...

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
P.S. I cannot stop thinking about remapped 335i coupes!

Beautiful understated car, immense build quality and 360 - 380 bhp post remap.
Yeah they are nice. My mate has a 335D remaped to around 340bhp and its awesome. But, he took out my Ti and said it feels more planted on the road and is less jiggly.

The 135i remapped is a excellent car also

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Its too much car and too nicer car to get rid of. Angel Tuning......lets be havin ya :lol:
Feeling quite sick seeing all these posts about BMWs on here, but if I just squint my eyes I can almost ignore them whilst picking up the bits about Alfas :rolleyes:

Be very interested in the results of a remap/DPF removal on a qtronic...because I have one too :thumbs:

My son just let me down by choosing an Mtec 530d BMW Touring over an Alfa 159 SW, so I'm a bit anti BMW at the moment :lol:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts