Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been out for our nightly walk, and there was a small aircraft quite low, with it's landing gear down, obviously setting up for Rochester. As it went overhead, there was the unmistakeable wing shape, and black and white invasion stripes - Spitfire.
I still get goosebumps every time I see one.
I guess it must be part of the D Day commemoration, possibly en route to France. For those of us in the South East, it may be worth keeping the eyes peeled and the ears tuned this weekend, because I think there may be quite a few old warbirds in the sky.

E

·
0 Posts
Last year when I was recovering from a knee operation, my mate took me to Arnside (near Morecambe) and while we were there, I could hear this rumble in the sky. I said to my mate 'Thats a merlin engine, I hope it is a Spitfire'.
As soon as I finished speaking a Spitfire came sweeping over Arnside Knott (big hill), and flew right up the estuary with the glorious sound track following it.
What a moment that was.

R

·
0 Posts
i've been reading the 'dear Gordon' thread.....and i hate to say it...

i agree with you :wow:

i need a holiday
Just testing a theory here. Why will you vote Conservative next election? Clover knows why I'm asking.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I was at the british grand prix in 07, as i was walking around the track on qualifying day i suddenly heard a roar and two spitfires took off in formation from the silverstone runway. was great as they were so low. beautiful noise, love them to bits.
and to add to that race day morning the Vulcan flew over too!!!

all there needed to be was a Lancaster and it would have been perfect!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Years ago, we went to Brands Hatch, just to see what the meeting was, and as we were turning around in the grass car park outside the circuit, there was this rumble of engines overhead, and the Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane of the Battle of Britain squadron did a few low passes.
Of course my missus (who doesn't understand any of this), just wanted us to be on our way tout suite.:confused:
Women from Venus - ------------------ :lol:

·
Registered
15,174 Posts

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,322 Posts
I'm lucky in that I live about 12 miles away from the BBMF at Coningsby so during the summer months I often see the whole BBM Flight flying low over the house either on their way to or back from a show, I still always dash out to look.

Odd really as during my time at Coningsby neither I or anyone else who were not directly involved with BBMF took much notice of them, I think it was " uncool " for us to appear to be interested !

I suspect that the D Day Stripes were possibly applied for the coming commemoration but I also have a feeling that the stripes have been on there for some time, must try to find something to improve my memory...........

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
Enough to retake Europe :eek::lol::thumbs:

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
They restored one at Rochester airport about 15 years ago and I remember helping to push it when it got stuck.

Sublime fantastic aircraft, the sound of a Merlin is simply perfection.

The Spitfire and Concord...aircraft heaven

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They restored one at Rochester airport about 15 years ago and I remember helping to push it when it got stuck.

Sublime fantastic aircraft, the sound of a Merlin is simply perfection.

The Spitfire and Concord...aircraft heaven
They are restoring a Fairey Battle over at Rochester now (They have been doing it for years), that would make an interesting addition to an air show.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts