Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be taking the Spider to Spain via France in the summer and as this will be our first journey where we will need gear for 15 days or so. I will use a ''boot bag'' for some of our stuff but am thinking of removing the space saver so that we can fit a suit case in the boot.

I was just wondering whether or not other Spider owners dispense with the spare to maximise boot space. My wife does like a good choice of shoes and as we will be staying in Biarritz for some of the time a decent selection of shoes will be essential. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I wouldn't go anywhere, without my spacesaver. Puncture kits can be often useless. If you have an alternative plan in case of puncture, then happy days. (does your wife enjoy camping at the side of the road)? whilst you babble on the phone in French/Spanish trying to buy a tyre? I presume you'll have breakdown cover, which may reduce the waiting time.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Tough one Adrian.
We have ours in the car but like you if we ever get around to going to Europe in the car I might consider removing the space saver and taking gunk.
Risk is obviously that any puncture will result in a new tyre after the gunk is used.

Of course depending on the tyre and where the puncture is then quite often they tell you to buy a new tyre anyway.

I think I'm trying to say "take it out" :D

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Ive driven mine for 10yrs / 60k miles with no spare, never a problem.

You might drive 10km, get a puncture and be buggered.

Do you feel lucky, punk!?

Reactions: Scuba Steve

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thankyou for your input fellow 916 owners. As Euroboy infers ''How lucky do I feel''? Well this year I did 18,000 miles and no puncture. I am inclined not to take the space saver and to take a ''puncture repair kit''. So I obviously feel quite lucky for the moment. But then again..........

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
What I found works well is to remove the spare wheel from its usual location and place it behind the passenger's seat, still in its bag. That way, you get the boot space for a decent suitcase, and you make use of space behind the seat that is otherwise of little use. The wheel tends to roll out towards the door, so closing the door requires a little care.

This is how I was able to use my Spider for business trips, for which I had to carry a large Samsonite case filled with foam and laptop PCs.

Having the spare wheel behind a seat also reminded me of my '88 X1/9 I had ten years ago :)

-Alex

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
I wouldn't go anywhere, without my spacesaver. Puncture kits can be often useless. If you have an alternative plan in case of puncture, then happy days. (does your wife enjoy camping at the side of the road)? whilst you babble on the phone in French/Spanish trying to buy a tyre? I presume you'll have breakdown cover, which may reduce the waiting time.
Agreed. I carry both the gunk and a space saver! Most of the miles on my GTV have been touring the continent and whilst I have not had a puncture that does not mean I never will.

All it needs is a split in the sidewall and you're stuffed. Imagine you've driven into the Pyrenees for a nice meal in one of the villages and on the way back to Biarritz, in the dark and it is raining. The tyre has a split so what are you going to do then with a tube of gunk? If you're on the Spanish side of the Pyrenees you can be a long way from anywhere. I know the region well having spent many holidays there on my BMW.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
My wheels are 18's so the space saver wheel is of no use to me. I carry a can of tyre inflator. Last year we went on a road trip all round Italy over 3000miles for 2 weeks and later went to the Spa GP. Luckily no punctures but my tyres were nearly new. In the 6.5 years of ownership, only 1 puncture which was outside my house. Roads in France and Spain are fabulous unless you go off piste but even they are okay. We also have driven down to Spain in my van, no punctures on that trip. You'll have a fabulous time whatever route you take and driving with the top down is glorious. You can also put a few things under the hood cover, you'd be surprized how much you can squeeze things in.

·
Registered
423 Posts
We had a three week trip to Italy last year and took it out. The much needed boot space was priority for us. I took the inflator kit from my GTA and a can of gunk/inflator as back up. We also had roadside assistance if the worst happened and I couldn't repair it.

Have also done the same, 5 times in the S4 spider, with no issues. The amount of space the full size wheel takes up in the well is well used for luggage.

The point is, what if I decided to take the GTA which doesn't have a spare, just the inflator? Does that mean I could never venture overseas in it? That would also apply to my Panda which also doesn't come with a spare - like lots of cars these days.

I guess you have to decide if you can wait for rescue should a split occur....

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Ive driven mine for 10yrs / 60k miles with no spare, never a problem.

You might drive 10km, get a puncture and be buggered.

Do you feel lucky, punk!?
It does indeed come down to "luck", I have had mine since new (2001) - 50,000 miles never had either a space saver full size spare, decent tyres and attention to tyre pressures never had an issue...the most common puncture suffered over all cars - nails or screws in the tread. Recently did a trip UK- Austria and back (via northern Italy) did not have to add air to the tyres (or even oil). Whilst luck comes into it (and not hitting kerbs, sleeping policemen or other vehicles) keeping tyres properly inflated and in good condition gives you the edge.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Ps - I have done several long distance European trips in a 156 GTA with both a full size spare and a space saver - never had to use them once...even after a few laps of the ring....

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Agreed. I carry both the gunk and a space saver! Most of the miles on my GTV have been touring the continent and whilst I have not had a puncture that does not mean I never will.

All it needs is a split in the sidewall and you're stuffed. Imagine you've driven into the Pyrenees for a nice meal in one of the villages and on the way back to Biarritz, in the dark and it is raining. The tyre has a split so what are you going to do then with a tube of gunk? If you're on the Spanish side of the Pyrenees you can be a long way from anywhere. I know the region well having spent many holidays there on my BMW.
Possibly no phone signal in some remote areas also.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Is it worth a grumpy woman though?
Id be keeping it and going with Alexgs's suggestion. Also maybe look and see can you get a boot rack....

·
Registered
433 Posts
Spacesaver behind passenger seat is no problem. We also travel with a couple of soft bags on the shelf behind the seats.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I was wrestling with the same conundrum last year. We had a 10 day trip in the west of Ireland and it would be the first time in the Spider. As always space was a premium and I couldn't see me going away without a spare wheel, even if it was just down the country for a few days.
A few weeks beforehand I get a puncture outside my door. So not a problem on with the space saver and get it repaired. Or so I thought. It was the front right and as I start to drive off there is a loud knocking from the front right. Stopping in a panic I check to see what stupid thing I had done but could see nothing. Got her back into the drive and took off the space saver. All looks fine until I see some marks on the inside of the space saver. It's catching the brake caliper.
Down to the garage with the punctured tire and space saver. They confirm that its the wrong space saver. So long story short, I got four new tires and this and off we went on our trip.
First morning up we get and guess what we where greeted with, yes a punctured rear tire and no space saver. But it was grand, got a lift down to the village from the hotel and got it repaired for a tenner.
So my advice. You'll never konw what's the correct decision, just go with what feels right.

Donal

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
I make the trip Italy - UK at least once a year. One time only I had a blow out on my return to Italy just after getting onto the M6 at 4 in the morning. Without the space saver I would have needed to wait the rescue. Only time I've ever had a blow out In my life but scary.

So if you don't have a space saver make sure you have recovery insurance or it will get very expensive if you have a problem.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Down to the garage with the punctured tire and space saver. They confirm that its the wrong space saver. So long story short, I got four new tires and this and off we went on our trip.

Donal
Looks good. Is that any different than the tyre gunk they supply with new cars? I have one car (none Alfa) that has no space saver. I bought one from another manufacturer (same PCD) but to use it I would need one mother of a spacer and as such not yet actually bothered. This looks like an alternative idea I think.
As I said above, I know for a fact the gunk would mean no chance of a repair (which on the car I mean is possibly the case since it is a very high performance car) but I still think this looks better than what I have.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I make the trip Italy - UK at least once a year. One time only I had a blow out on my return to Italy just after getting onto the M6 at 4 in the morning. Without the space saver I would have needed to wait the rescue. Only time I've ever had a blow out In my life but scary.

So if you don't have a space saver make sure you have recovery insurance or it will get very expensive if you have a problem.
Good point, I would never venture further than the end of the drive without roadside recovery which means I would never go across to mainland Europe without the same. But I will risk going without a space saver.

I have just recollected when we went to the South of France in the MX5 (twice) we went without the space saver. If we had taken the spacesaver there would not have been room for any of my stuff. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
When my wife and I took a ten day trip to Milan we left the spacesaver in place. Some 'imaginative' packing of some softer items around the voids under the rear clam shell, i.e., where the retracted hood goes meant that we were OK for space. I do have a Phase 1 with a manual hood so probably had more space to do this. Either that or FedEx your clothes to your destination and then do the same on the way home:biglaugh:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts