Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have been playing with the idea of getting a spider. I have seen some very nice 2.0 TS spiders at decent prices - but that would simply leave me wanting the V6.

So finally a V6 popped up - with red leather (a personal requirement of mine).

2003 Alfa Spider 3.0 V6 | Randburg | Gumtree South Africa | 169270144

What to look out for ? Roof working properly, oil and cambelt changes done etc ?
How is the price for the year and mileage ?

Won't be an everyday car - more like a weekend/tinker toy - possibly take the place of the Junior - not sure about that yet.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
if the roof works, buy it. Even if its missed an oil change. its only got 117 000km. its almost run in.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Seems like a good buy as there's an 02 at Chatz for 140K.

Your best bet would be to go & drive this car, listen for knocks on the suspension, 2nd gear grating, cambelt / oil changes etc.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seems like a good buy as there's an 02 at Chatz for 140K.

Your best bet would be to go & drive this car, listen for knocks on the suspension, 2nd gear grating, cambelt / oil changes etc.
The 02 at chatz does not grate my carrot - the color and weird red pinstripe around it puts me off.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Dude you won't regret a V6 916 Spider. I LOVE mine!! So the price looks reasonable given the year and mileage. Have a look at the one at Chatz for comparison. It all depends on condition though. It's only worth that if it's in very good nick. Things I'd look out for would be:

Have the cambelt and tensioners been changed?
Has the water pump been changed and is it a metal impeller type?
The car should go like a rocket. If it feels laboured or strained there may be an air intake leak (see further down) or the MAF may be knackered.
Condition of the fabric roof and back window. The frame often wears holes in the roof on the back corners when down (The one at Chatz has this problem)
Roof should work as expected with the car stationary and the hand brake up. Make sure the two front latches are 100%. They're difficult to come by.
Check the little spring loaded flaps on each side of the roof compartment work properly. If the springs are broken the roof doesn't latch in the down position properly
Check the sills. These have often been bashed or crushed by careless tyre fitment people etc
Check the clutch and flywheel engagement. Is the clutch very heavy? Could mean it's at the end of it's useful life
Check that all the keys and code card are available and that the remote central locking/alarm works as it should
Check the doors and rear quarters for car park dints. Not a deal breaker but annoying
Check the wear on the inner edge of the rear tyres. These cars run negative camber and they often wear the inner edges excessively
Check for any suspension squeaks, knocks or groans
Check the inlet flexi hose. These often perish and crack. Part is available but it's not cheap.
Check the CV boots and drive the car left and right on full lock while listening for any knocking
Check that fuel isn't leaking from the rubber hose connecting the injector rails. These can perish and create a fire hazard. This normally needs the engine running to spot
Is the fuel pump noisy? If it is it could be on it's last legs
Are all the covers and trim in the rear compartment behind the seats present? The whole areas should be carpeted with the battery cover present (This is often missing and EOA)
Get the car up to temperature. the gauge should stay relatively close to 90 for most of the time.
Are any of the headlight lenses or foglight lenses cracked or broken (These are getting difficult to source)
Check for any front end accident damage. Normally easy to spot as the front cross rail and chassis members are so easy to get to.
Slide under the rear bumper and check the rear valance for any accident damage
Does the electric aerial go up and down as it should?
Do the auto drop windows both work as they should? Also drive the car on the highway and have a listen for any wind noise past the window seals. It's not a deal breaker and very common but a PITA to sort.
On start up do any of the climate control panel LED's flash? This indicates a fault in the system
Are the windscreen washer spray bars there with all their pipes and working correctly? (Also a cheap fix)

That's all I can think of for now. If you'd like someone who's familiar with V6 Spider's and it's in the JHB area then I'd be happy to take a look.

One more thing. The windscreen frame and mirrors should be painted satin black. If they're body colour the car has had some spray work. The Chatz car has this.

Keep in mind that the 3.0 V6 Spider is quite a rare beast, not just in South Africa but the world. You'll have a very exclusive car and an appreciating modern classic if it's looked after.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
@Alastpa, wow you know your 916 spider well! Good on you for those information.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes thanks a lot Alastpa. You have assisted with some questions on my 147 JTD previously aswell :thumbup:

The car is in Randburg - busy talking to the owner so will advise once I have details and the vehicle can be viewed.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Sling
I see the seller has put up some pictures on his gumtree advert. The car looks very tasty:thumbup: I can see that the radio aerial isn't fully down. They often get very stiff if they're not lubricated every so often. It might just need some oil or it could be busted. Not a deal breaker. Quite excited for you mate looks like it could be a very nice car.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Awesome checklist, Alastpa.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hello. So the Spider thing is still bugging me.

I can get a V6 Spider for 120k or more.

I went with Alastpa last weekend to go test drive two 3.0 V6 Spiders - one with a unichip and filter :thumbup:
Look - they sound absolutely amazing and I really enjoyed it. Especially the change between first and second - there is just no delay or hesitation - the car just carries on like nothing happened - really awesome.

But - you can get lots of 2.0 T Spark Spiders for much less - like 55k etc.

Over the years i've read threads where Turbonutter's reckon they can built a 2.0 T Spark that's faster than a 3.0 V6 and also followed Gertie's 2.0 GTV turbo mods etc.

The 2.0 probably also handles better because of less weight at the front, fuel economy would be better etc etc.

So if I get a 2.0 spider for R55k - I have money to play with and Turbo the T Spark.

Any opinions or views on this idea ?

·
Registered
6,004 Posts

Over the years i've read threads where Turbonutter's reckon they can built a 2.0 T Spark that's faster than a 3.0 V6 and also followed Gertie's 2.0 GTV turbo mods etc.

The 2.0 probably also handles better because of less weight at the front, fuel economy would be better etc etc.

So if I get a 2.0 spider for R55k - I have money to play with and Turbo the T Spark.

The question is what is the car for? For racing like performance? Then yes go for the turbo 2.0TS route - You can get 3.0 NA power from 2.0 weight (70kg+ saving). Turbo install is still quite expensive.

If you just want a pleasurable driving experience, the V6 roar might be the way to go?

But Turbo sounds are cool too. You like to mod things - maybe go for the 2.0

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Hello. So the Spider thing is still bugging me.

I can get a V6 Spider for 120k or more.

I went with Alastpa last weekend to go test drive two 3.0 V6 Spiders - one with a unichip and filter :thumbup:
Look - they sound absolutely amazing and I really enjoyed it. Especially the change between first and second - there is just no delay or hesitation - the car just carries on like nothing happened - really awesome.

Buy the 3.0 because it's just not the engine that's upgraded, better brakes, better wheels etc

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Avi the problem is 3.0 Spider's are so hard to come by. Especially in good nick. The silver one I saw with Sling on Saturday was a little bit misrepresented....not worth what they guy was asking.

Sling: This TS looks promising https://www.olx.co.za/ad/alfa-spider-1999-r99999-ID15Ue5Y.html#9d8ac1f60d

https://www.olx.co.za/ad/alfa-spider-r99999-ID15UAA8.html

just a pity it's not a V6.
I also saw this one - not a bad price if its good condition - but yeah - not that V6 I actually want

2001 Alfa Romeo Spider Convertible | Boksburg | Gumtree South Africa | 154030498

·
Registered
569 Posts
For me you really want the V6. Did a 220 km trip yesterday, 4 mountain passes and the V6 sound, it just creates and experience and if it sounds so good in a GTV (admittedly mine doesn't have a standard exhaust) just imagine how amazing it would sound in a Spider!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts