Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've just bought the Spider and noticed the inner edges of the front tyres are pretty much on the minimum. The outer edges have at least 5mm left! How likely is it that just the tracking will need doing? Or is there more work going to be required? Bushes? If this is likely to be bushes how much am I going to be budgeting for? And anyone know which bushes these are likely to be?
The car is just clocking over to 43000 miles.

·
Premium Member
2,828 Posts
Sorry but these questions can only be answered with the car on a ramp and inspection, definitely tracking but could be suspension arms, who knows,

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been looking at the tracking information the previous owner had done and according to the owners manual, its a mile out!
The front wheels are towing out 2.4 degrees one side and 2.9 degrees on the other totalling to 5.3 degrees. looking at the manual it shows -1.05 +-0.5mm half toe in. Looking at these figures, I'm right in thinking this is way out? Back in 2012!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry but these questions can only be answered with the car on a ramp and inspection, definitely tracking but could be suspension arms, who knows,
Thanks for the reply, I realise that there will be no definite answers here, but I'm just wanting to hear from peoples experiences.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Get it down to Autolusso - Ned will sort it out, had the Q4 159 done there with polybushes and I've done 12000 since, tyre wear perfectly even on all four corners.

Recommended.

Guy

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
the tire life on my brera has trebled since fitting lower poly bushes. The cars history from new showed front tire changes every 8k miles

Ive not noticed any change in vibration or sound of the car and the driveshafts, gearbox and everything else is still fine.

it steers like a proper alfa should too which is the best part.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Wrong, you haven't seen as many of these as I have, bad advice

I won't even do a 4 wheel alignment on a Brera or 159 with Powerflex lower arms fitted as there is simply no point.

Ned
Sorry Ned. You may have worked on many but we design rubber suspensions because it's better. The voids are carefully inserted to isolate the car. Plastic bushes are ok for the race track but not on the road. Rubber is more expensive in production but it's always used. If the plastic worked the manufacturers would use it.

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
Sorry Ned. You may have worked on many but we design rubber suspensions because it's better. The voids are carefully inserted to isolate the car. Plastic bushes are ok for the race track but not on the road. Rubber is more expensive in production but it's always used. If the plastic worked the manufacturers would use it.
It's OK you don't need to apologize, you are welcome to drive a car that has been fitted with these bushes so you are in a position to make a comparison and then give an informed comment

Ned

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies all, the car is booked in for new tyres with the tracking to be done. While I'm there I will probably have the 4 wheel alignment checked. The current tyres on the car are cheap budget tyres, which I'm not happy with anyway. So, the new will go on the back and switch the cheap backs to the front and see how it goes as far as wear. My worry about polybushing is that, I always thought it gives a jarring ride? I find the Spider stiff enough for what I want, I don't want to make the car any more stiff. I have lowered many cars, but never polybushed them. Ned, I have seen your videos on the Autolusso website and the service you offer. What exactly do you get replaced and with what for the upgrade? How long will the new bushes last? I have read the attached thread on the Autolusso website and it does look the way to go. How long would you need the car for, for this job?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
The polybushes do improve the turn in of the car, and pay for themselves easily with improved tyre wear.

Breda 3.2 Q4 was done just over 2 years ago, 18000 miles later still on the same tyres that were fitted at the time by Ned, and plenty of tread left too :thumbs:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts