Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah yeah, I know many of you are going to be totally apoplectic and rushing to throw up, before leaving me with two big blue & yellow rings round my eyes, but please hear me out.
I'm not going to tow a caravan or anything vile like that, but I have just bought a lightweight polyethelene sportyak dinghy to use as a tender for my sailing boat. I would very much like to tow it on a lightweight trailer, and would look fine as a combo....sportyak being towed by a sports car.
The MX5 lads have devised a soft top roof rack for carrying sail boards, but look like you need to mount brackets to the body of your car, and it wouldn't do for the spider anyway.
Does anybody know who fabricates custom tow bars please?

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I dont know if the GTV or Spider were ever type approved having a tow bar (as a betting man, Id say not, but you never know).

That doesnt stop you from fitting one, obviously - but it can have insurance ramifications. Worth bearing in mind.

Reactions: Headgasket14

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It appears that it is going to be easier to carry it overhead than behind, that is the way I am going to go. The boat only weighs 19kg.

·
Registered
270 Posts
On page 328 of the handbook are the dimensions and instructions for installing a "trailer towing device". So there must be approval somewhere, as the basic chassis is a Fiat Tipo/Tempra, Marea or Alfa 155, maybe getting one from a breakers and seeing if it fits is an option?

·
Registered
Porsche Cayenne Diseasel (2011)
26,174 Posts
Users Pollepops, jdw75 , jowi, PD156SW, sgoedhart, davidek on the Dutch 916 forum (GTV's mainly these guys) are towbar enthousiasts.
It's not easy, requires a bit of drilling apparently but it can be done.

Let me know if you want to be put in touch with one of those people and I'll see what I can do.

Reactions: Headgasket14

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
SO they do 'officially' exist. Good news.

Would be interesting to know if they were GTV only, or both GTV/Spider. The damping device on the Spider might get in the way?

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
The MX5 lads have devised a soft top roof rack for carrying sail boards, but look like you need to mount brackets to the body of your car, and it wouldn't do for the spider anyway.
The first Porsche Boxster's could be had with a similar setup as a genuine accessory. It seems to latch into the roof fixing points when the roof is down. I've always fancied one for the Spider to carry my bicycle. I've got a towbar on the 147 and even then it spoils the looks a bit. Being able to carry your bike on the towbar rather than the roof does make life miles easier though and the genuine 147 roof rack is stupid expensive.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
If you are looking for a rack for the Spider, a Saris Bones fits perfectly....

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have closely studied the hood on the spider, closely studied the new dinghy, and worked out that it will actually sit on the hood just fine, as a) the dinghy only weighs 19kg. b) the length of the dinghy is 7'. If it sits on the hood, it will overhang the screen by 2' and the rear screen by 2'. I can put some cord through some side holes in the dinghy, and strap it all down....The only problem is...where to strap it down. I'll have to poke around to find possible tie points, which appear to be lacking on the spider. mmmmmmmmmmmm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts