Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I rescued my Spider from a farmer, it was about 1/4 tonne heavier that it should be due to the dirt. The interior took a day to get into a usable state. The bodywork was rinsed down, to be waxed sometime over the coming week.

But the icky-ist bit was the hood. Green and brown patches, white blobs of bird poo staining and lichen growing along the seams and in patches down the sides.

Taking the advice from the forum I bought the four bottle set off fleabay, £39 including postage.

Here is the what you will need :

1. To have had a good drink
2. A bottle of cleaner
3. A bottle of colour reviver
4. A bottle of waterproofer
5. A bottle of window cleaner
6. A celebratory drink when you have finished each stage

Attachments

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This was the state before cleaning :vomit:

Attachments

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a great video on youtube on how to do all this work, it made it look like childs play (search renovo spider).

Lightly wet the hood, then brush the cleaner on. Brush it in well until it slightly lathers, then go and have another drink or two, then come back in an hour.

Using a stiff brush (£1 from Tescos) give it a damn good scrubbing. I couldn't believe the [email protected] that was running out of the fabric.

Give it a rinse off and leave over night to dry whilst you have your stage 1 celebratory drinkies.

Attachments

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This morning I awoke to this lovely sight. It already looks black and so much better. However, it had rained a little overnight, so appearances were deceptive.

I got home this evening and it was 100% dry. Some small patches could still be seen, particularly where the bird poop had stained it.

So out came the paintbrush and stiff brush again, paint the cleaner on neat on each little patch, wet it slightly and scrub just those areas. A rinse, and I have left it to fully rinse in the rain that started just as I finished. Another celebratory drink is now the order of the day.

I am planning on doing the colouring this Saturday, so I will do before and after shots for that too.

Attachments

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking good so far and a reasonable price for the kit, however the alcohol seems to be bumping up the price quiet abit lol
Nah, cheap plonk :D

Got the top coloured now. Looks almost brand new. The stain has highlighted two tiny rips, I would welcome any advice on how to stop them getting bigger?

Attachments

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Needle and thread maybe ?? I'm sure someone will help seriously soon :thumbs:
Do you know I hadn't thought of that, seriously. Thanks Simon, I will see if the mother in law has very fine thread and a thin as possible needle. If I just sew each end to reinforce it it shouldn't get any bigger. :D

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Just thinking if they're only small you could sow them up and treat with scotchgard to stop it leaking?
Never dealt with a soft top so don't know.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Good work. Still have the same kit in my garage from when I had my spider

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheers chaps. A look at the forecast for tomorrow is not looking good for the waterproofing. Hopefully it will get done this week.

·
Registered
7,787 Posts
The best thing to use in order to kill the moss and mildew is cheapo white distilled vinegar. You have progressed well beyond this point but if moss etc starts reappearing then apply neat to the green area until saturated. Leave overnight and then begin to shampoo hood. etc, etc.

Renovo is a good product, although i do feel some of their products are over priced, namely shampoo and proofer. Just buy any shampoo or make your own. As for Proofer i recommend you buy a tin of Fabsil that is applied with a brush and its the best value proofer on the market .....IMO.

Good job by the way, hood cleaning is more time consuming than bodywork cleaning.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The best thing to use in order to kill the moss and mildew is cheapo white distilled vinegar...... Good job by the way.....
Ta :thumbs:

Vinegar eh? Certainly cheaper!

I hope to get an outdoor car cover at some point, and keep it garaged when not covered, but with the wet August we have had so far I think Fabsil may be a sound investment.

It is persisting it down again, so no waterproofing tonight :cry:

Going to try and get the Momo tan front seats out of my GTV and clean them up. I can feel another thread coming on :thumbs:

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally stopped raining for ten minutes, so I did the waterproofing this morning. Went on with more difficulty than the others, it doesn't want to readily soak in on the sides, so it runs off and onto the paintwork. I covered it up as best as I could but still meant wiping up drips.

It has had about 3 hours to dry, but it has just started to rain, so I went to see what it was like. Well, like Ronseal it does exactly what it says on the tin. It is repelling water better than a bucket of Selenia :D

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts