Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following the accident suffered in early September (4x4 reversed into bonnet whilst I was parked at a petrol pump), my lovely Spider is still off the road!

I need a new bonnet and front bumper for a P2 '99 MY (in Alfa red).

Currently, the car is with Autolusso, but the guys there have been unable to source a breaking red Spider/GTV that meets their requirements. Consequently, the car is sat in Luton, doing nothing.

(bit of a longshot this)...

Does anybody know of an Alfa red Spider / GTV (P2 / P3) that is being broken within a 1/2 day drive of Autolusso?

Alternatively, any other (helpful) suggestions much appreciated.

Aside from the bumper and bonnet, the car is in excellent condition...

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Are they really planning to replace the bumper and the bonnet and hope it colour matches? DIY job for 2 people
There will be little chance of this with 2nd hand parts. Why can they not respray from any colour?:confused:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why can they not respray from any colour?:confused:
It's all about cost, I have a fixed settlement figure from my insurance provider to work with. Consequently, it is all about finding the most cost effective solution for the budget.

Also, it is a '99 Spider, which frankly is not worth a huge amount of money, a respray would probably cost more than the donor parts.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for mentioning, but once you add in the time/cost of transporting a bonnet, it rapidly becomes a headache..

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
This may sound a bit thick but if the 4x4 reversed into you, why is your insurance company not letting you fit a new bonnet with the 4x4 owner paying the bill???

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The insurance company wish to write the Spider off (their 'approved garage' quoted £4500 for the work).

My options were Cash-in-Lieu or have the Spider written off and I take the settlement figure (which meant I would have had the car 2 months and lost a lot of money).

I asked around and the consensus was that the car can be repaired and back on the road for a tiny percentage of what the insurance quote was, as well not being classified Cat D.

I opted to take Cash-in-Lieu and put that money toward having the car repaired with parts from a breaker, this is why I chose to have the car go to Auto Lusso, as these guys really know what they are doing and it is a logical choice as everything is in one place.

·
Registered
9,601 Posts
No difference between a Phase 1 and phase 2 bonnet - only the grille - can't believe you can't find the parts for the most popular colour of GTV ..... I've got them but again North of Manchester. Rather than hang around I'd source any colour as cheap as possible - I'd have thought £200 would sort it - and get them spayed......

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was told by the garage that there is a slight difference between a P1 and P2 bonnet (around the wings). Whilst a P1 bonnet will mount onto a P2 car, apparently, it will not look 'right'.

I'm not trying to start a debate, just repeating what I have been told.

As I will be looking to sell the car in the Spring, I want it to look as good as possible.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I may be able to help, if Autolusso would buy the whole car from me? It's a 1999 3.0 GTV in Red. Bonnet is in excellent condition as is the front bumper. I'm in Billericay Essex CM12. car has tax till end of this month and MOT till 20/12/11

My mobile is
07753 341 368

Regards,
Gary

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
I was told by the garage that there is a slight difference between a P1 and P2 bonnet (around the wings). Whilst a P1 bonnet will mount onto a P2 car, apparently, it will not look 'right'.

I'm not trying to start a debate, just repeating what I have been told.

As I will be looking to sell the car in the Spring, I want it to look as good as possible.
who told you that?:confused: I have both P1 and P2 and the bonnets are identical!;) The only difference is a 5min job as already stated the grille.

G

·
I'd trust RGWM as he is a breaker and has been for many years.

Also if you get a Rosso 130 bonnet it won't match your car. Every Rosso Alfa is a different colour after a few years :lol:

·
Registered
9,601 Posts
I'd trust RGWM as he is a breaker and has been for many years.

Also if you get a Rosso 130 bonnet it won't match your car. Every Rosso Alfa is a different colour after a few years :lol:
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Marlon.....and I've just checked Eper and can confirm, thankfully, that I was right - same part number for the bonnet until the facelift phase 3....:)

Fair comment about Rosso, BTW:lol: Can also be a problem after a respray, of course:rolleyes:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Spider back on the road!

Finally picked up my Spider a couple of weeks ago from Autolusso.

I am very pleased with the resprayed bonnet, it seems that Autolusso have found a good local bodyshop. The colour matching is spot on!

The panel gaps are slightly uneven (couple of mm), that is a conversation for another day.
//

Annoyingly I covered 250 miles in the car only to have the seal on the clutch slave cylinder go. Still, that has been fixed today and I only have to fix the now non-functioning aerial...

(Unrelated failures vex me)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll try to take some hi-res shots over the weekend.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts