Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok New Head unit is an alpine ida-x305 outputs 50wx4, now the speakers look like 5x7 with components, now fitting the 5x7's is child's play but I've never fitted components or crossovers befor, and ofcourse it has components now, are components a standard size? also how easy is it to fit on my alfa? and how do i fit this little crossover or do I need it at all? and if i do where do I put the box etc... 2nd of all there's a speaker in the back a single one, whats the size of that? how do i get it out? here is the 5x7's i've looked at as I get a dealer discount at this website.

Car Audio & Security: Car Stereo, Speakers & Subwoofers, Car DVD Players, GPS and CD Changers I've fitted rainbow speakers befor and the quality was fantasic.
Car Audio & Security: Car Stereo, Speakers & Subwoofers, Car DVD Players, GPS and CD Changers

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
the xover is part of the 'set' so you must use it. depending upon the quality/model of component speakers, the xover has 2 actual filter in it, one for the woofer and one for the tweeter:
*woofer: lowpass filter to filter out the treble (allowing only the 'low' frequencies to 'pass' to the woofer); lower quality components don't always have a LP filter for the woofer
*tweeter: highpass filter to filter out the midrange/bass (allowing only the high frequencies to 'pass' to the tweeter); without it, the tweeter would receive bass and would fry quickly

where will you put the tweeter - in the factory location? where is that - if it's like the 159, then that's in the dashtop near the base of the A-pillars? or will you mount them in the doors with the woofers (eg: surface-mount them on the triangular mirror sail panel trim)?

if this is the case, wiring things up is actually a little tricky. before i write 1000 words to describe it, i will ask you to clarify the situation first.

mounting the 5x7 woofer can be easy or tricky too. it depends on the size of the frame/magnet and how deep the speaker is. if too deep, the window will hit the speaker when you wind it down. if the frame is much bigger than the factory speaker, it won't fit easily into the existing hole.

so you may need to replace the plastic speaker holder with an mdf wood spacer, cut to the right shape and of the right thickness to accommodate the speaker depth.

sorry, but ICE can be easy or difficult. it just depends! if you, personally, aren't going to be doing the installation, then we can just keep it simple. find yourself a highly regarded, skilled professional ICE retailer and rely on the installer to do the job properly. then you don't have to worry.

:)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tweeter is in the top of the door card on the Spider, will the aftermarket speakers fit thou? I think I might just take it in to be fitted but order the stuff my self what would you say is a fair price?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right I've got the front speakers pretty much sorted now for the rear one in the centre, What size is it? heard mixed sizes also heard its got 2 speakers there HELP.

Price for fitting my front speakers they want £60 and I bagged my rainbow speakers for £95.57 +VAT

·
7,713 Posts
if the tweeters are in the doors, that's easier. you could connect the wires from the factory woofer (POS/NEG) to the new passive crossover ('inputs'). then run new speakerwire from the xover to the new woofer and new tweeter. as you can imagine, if the tweeter is in the dash/cabin, then it gets messy (eg: locating factor wiring in kickpanel area, cutting them, routing to the passive xover, etc).

no idea about the rear centre speaker. if it's designed to be a 'subwoofer', then you'll need a special high-excursion driver suitable for this application.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Am I losing it I count 5 speakers in my car 2 front tweeters, 2 front Mids and a rear speaker yet ppl talk about the GTV and Spider having 6? I only count 5, I've got the front 5x7 and comps rdy to be orderd now which one do I need for the rear? I belive 13cm? but do I need this Car Audio & Security: Car Stereo, Speakers & Subwoofers, Car DVD Players, GPS and CD Changers remember my car is a spider not a GTV am guessing speakers the same but you never know

·
7,713 Posts
:lol: until now, i thought you have a current-model Spider. :rolleyes: whoops. :p

the GTV has rear speakers (2). the fronts are 2-way component speakers (2x woofers + 2x tweeters). that's 6 in total (though in proper ICE terms, this is still only 4 (sets) speakers).

i figure your Spider has no rear speakers? but has a 'subwoofer' instead?

i can't tell you what size this rear speaker is. i've never seen on. perhaps you can remove it to have a look. compare it side by side with a front speaker.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts