Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The roof on my s4 spider has seen better days and I would like to replace it. Either a complete used roof in good order or the name of a good supplier/ fitter of a mohair roof please. Thanks! John..

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
The roof on my s4 spider has seen better days and I would like to replace it. Either a complete used roof in good order or the name of a good supplier/ fitter of a mohair roof please. Thanks! John..
I have always heard that Coburn hoods are top quality manufacturers for our spiders
http://coburnhoods.co.uk/alfa_romeo_spider.htm

EB spares exclusively sell Coburn - and that, for me at least, is a good enough endorsement!
alfa Romeo soft tops for spiders parts and spares

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
John Ive looked into this lately as I will also be replacing the hood on my car. I used to use a great guy just out side Derby for all my trim work but he has just retired:depressed:

Option one was to buy a replacement hood from the usual supplier and do it myself (following the instructions)

Option two was recommendations and to be honest the only one I have had is Coburns! Its a bit of a drive though...

How handy are you? It looks like a DIY job if you have the nerve...

Let us know if you get one fitted locally as I am only just up the road from you and that would be handy

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Coburns do have a good reputation but my experience was that they do cut corners in the same way that others do. e.g. They didn't refit the metal rail at the front, into which the seal should slide. They just glued the seal in place and discarded the metal rail. Having said that, it seems to work OK.
They also didn't fit the side tensioning wires and when I tried to retro-fit them I found that they don't have the eyelet holes to feed a wire through. Now that the hood has got a bit older it could do with those wires to pull it tight against the windows.

I had my other car hood fitted by Jamie Porter. They had the same approach to the front seal and side wires,plus it came back without the adjusters for the side wires, which I was not happy about! I think (but I'm not sure) that they sourced the hood from ClassicAlfa. I did retrofit the side wires on this one as the hood had the appropriate holes.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do the fabric hoods come with holes only if the pattern they work off have holes? I'm assuming that these mohair hoods are not bought from a manufacturer bu made by the individual companies selling them?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts