Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She went in for her MOT today and failed due to a leaking rear shock absorber. I have been quoted 67.90 + vat per side. Im happy to do the work my self but does anyone know anywhere that will do them for much cheaper?? I live in Kent and its 98 R 2.0 ltr.

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
That price is pretty good if it's including fitting then even better. I suppose you could try a breakers yard.

If it was me I would use the oppertunity and get bilsteins for around £100 each.

R

·
0 Posts
I've not seen much cheaper. There are a couple of GTVs being broken on here if you just want something that does not leak for now.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Two bolts to undo!!!! Its one of the easiest jobs you can do!!!! That's pure cheek.

Try a local parts dealer, I am sure you will be able to get them cheaper. No point in putting second hand ones on unless you know they are nearly new! False economy, good luck matey.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont know.... because i have seen 156, 147 etc for 40-50 the pair... but just dont know if they fit, ride height, etc

·
Registered
491 Posts
Go to www.alternative autos they are in Sheffield and do mail order very fast and they offer original make or a cheaper alternative, i use them all of the time and have always had excellent service. It is an easy job to do spray a bit of duck oil or WD40 on the bolts and you will have the job done within 30 mins do both sides though!

·
Registered
567 Posts
You might just need to tweak the spring pan with another jack to align the bolt holes. Just be careful not to go to far and transfer the weight onto the second jack. The spring pan should move quite easily though. It shouldn't be that much of an issue.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Not hard mate. Undo the bottom bolt. Then undo the top bolt. Push the bolts out. Then put the bolts back in! If you need to jack the spring pan up be careful then tighten the bolts! :cool:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Result!!! found a company that do them locally to me.... free delivery and only 42.75 including vat!!!!! Cheers guys

·
Registered
7,453 Posts
Result!!! found a company that do them locally to me.... free delivery and only 42.75 including vat!!!!! Cheers guys
I shudder to think of the quality of shock you're fitting to your 916 Spider then:rolleyes: Generally a good idea is to at least improve what you have when you come to replace the crap OE suspension on these cars. Of course they may be ok, but I doubt it. Which is a shame, as these Alfas deserve better really:tut:

R

·
0 Posts
I shudder to think of the quality of shock you're fitting to your 916 Spider then:rolleyes:
:tut:
Give the guy a break, there is no need for the tutting and eye rolling is there? The quality will be better than the leaking and failed ones that are currently on and they are a good price. It is spending £500+ on suspension upgrades to an 11 year old car, probably only worth about a grand that makes no sense.

·
Registered
7,453 Posts
Give the guy a break, there is no need for the tutting and eye rolling is there? The quality will be better than the leaking and failed ones that are currently on and they are a good price. It is spending £500+ on suspension upgrades to an 11 year old car, probably only worth about a grand that makes no sense.

It all depends how much you 'value' your Spider (and I'm not talking about money here) and also what you want to get out of an Alfa Romeo sports car. As I said the shocks may be fine, but for the cost indicated I rather doubt it.

I have one of the oldest 916 Spiders in the UK but I had no doubts about fitting Koni Sports adjustables - the ride is transformed and was worth every single penny. I just think it's a shame that such an iconic car as the 916 Spider may (and I say may) be fitted with substandard tat.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts