Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Having read all the above threads with suggestions about how to tackle my stuck mirrors, I approached the job with some trepidation. So, start with the switch first. The manual says to remove the ashtray to access the screw that holds the rear console in place. Ashtray out. I can manage that I thought! I then nudged the mirror switch accidently and heard the mirror motor whirr. Hmm. Put ashtray back. Switch not working. Remove ashtray - switch working! Magic. So the problem is with the wiring loom as the ashtray pushes the wiring as it clips into place. So having removed the console. I pushed home the wires into the back of the switch (and some clicked into place by a mm or 2) and then re-arranged the wiring loom so that the ashtray does not foul the wires, I now have working mirrors again.

So if you have a similar problem, check the switch and wiring before you embark on anything serious with the mirror motors. Thanks for the advice guys.

Rick

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have a S3 which has the original holes for the original mirrors which are covered by the round chrome alfa mirrors. The rubber seal makes them a perfect fit on my car at least.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I almost bought the mirror on German ebay but was outbid by 1 Euro with 3 seconds to go!

As my left hand side mirror was broken off I really would like to find a replacement. So if anyone has one I would be interested in buying it. Although a perfectly good working mirror would be ideal, I would consider a faulty one. Colour or condition is not too important as long as it is all there! I can even source a mirror glass if needs be.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
I almost bought the mirror on German ebay but was outbid by 1 Euro with 3 seconds to go!

As my left hand side mirror was broken off I really would like to find a replacement. So if anyone has one I would be interested in buying it. Although a perfectly good working mirror would be ideal, I would consider a faulty one. Colour or condition is not too important as long as it is all there! I can even source a mirror glass if needs be.
Hi there....still searching for the mirror...?
These are on German Ebay, also in Red, which I presume is your colour car?
This is the passenger side (would be your driver's side if you have a rhd car!)

Original Alfa Romeo Spider Aussenspiegel Beifahrerseite bei eBay.de: Oldtimer-Teile (endet 21.07.10 20:34:59 MESZ)

and driver's side (BUT here that means Left side, so i presume the one you are/were after!!

Original Alfa Romeo Spider Aussenspiegel Fahrerseite bei eBay.de: Oldtimer-Teile (endet 21.07.10 20:21:07 MESZ)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good afternoon,
This old thread is the most relevant I can find. I have a '93 S4 Spider that has been converted from left to right hand drive. Nice conversion except for the passenger side mirror, it won't turn inwards enough. If they're the same as my old 75 there's a frame bolted to the shell that I was thinking of packing some washers under the outboard side of. 2 questions. Has anyone tried this? How do you get the glass out? There doesn't seem to be the same latch mechanism behind the glass as the 75 had.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
washers won't work, but perhaps fitting a home made wedge might work (3D printing perhaps?)

you will have to remove the whole door panel to get at the mirror nuts...mount looks like this underneath
mirror.jpg

here is the back of the mirror so you get an idea of the clips
mirror glass.jpg

I have never heard of that particular problem where you can't see out of the lhs mirror on a rhd car... and there are enough rhd converted S4 spiders on here, but no doubt someone will chime in.

could it be the mirror motor is striking, not panning through the full amount?
you can sometimes help them with your thumb pressing on the side of the glass....sort of help them jump a cog if you like!

Getting the glass out: Lots of peole have done this(apparently!)....I have never achieved this, I tried everything...(I wanted to to be able to clean the little motor, as they do freeze up) but I just felt I was going to break the glass (and there is no replacement)

There are 2 types of S4 mirror.
One has a little toothed wheel thing underneath (look carefully between bottom of glass and frame, dead centre)...this type you stick something in there and move it (this unclips the mirror, and then you can pry it out)
pdf shows this type

the other type, you just pull
I have one side with the toothed bit and one not ;)

any hope it helps
Dom

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
washers won't work, but perhaps fitting a home made wedge might work (3D printing perhaps?)

you will have to remove the whole door panel to get at the mirror nuts...mount looks like this underneath
View attachment 936746

here is the back of the mirror so you get an idea of the clips
View attachment 936747

I have never heard of that particular problem where you can't see out of the lhs mirror on a rhd car... and there are enough rhd converted S4 spiders on here, but no doubt someone will chime in.

could it be the mirror motor is striking, not panning through the full amount?
you can sometimes help them with your thumb pressing on the side of the glass....sort of help them jump a cog if you like!

Getting the glass out: Lots of peole have done this(apparently!)....I have never achieved this, I tried everything...(I wanted to to be able to clean the little motor, as they do freeze up) but I just felt I was going to break the glass (and there is no replacement)

There are 2 types of S4 mirror.
One has a little toothed wheel thing underneath (look carefully between bottom of glass and frame, dead centre)...this type you stick something in there and move it (this unclips the mirror, and then you can pry it out)
pdf shows this type

the other type, you just pull
I have one side with the toothed bit and one not ;)

any hope it helps
Dom
Good evening Dom,
Having spent a frustrating hour this afternoon trying to get the glass out, like you I gave up and left it alone. Both of mine are the clip type rather than the locking wheel type I had on the 75.
The LH glass seems to go in as far as it is able but it isn't far enough, hence the idea to pack out the back of the supporting framework with washers. I think I'll just have to live with it and get one of those little blind spot stick ons to give me some picture of where the things are in relation to the left hand side of the car.

Thanks for the the information, and I did try, but no luck.

All the best
Andy

·
Registered
527 Posts
Original LHD left side mirrors dont come round to the correct angle. I usually half-fold my mirror in so I can see out of it. Unfortunately every time my car cleaner comes round he straightens it up!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts