Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it is possible to get the correct replacement glass for the power door mirrors on the Spider S4.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
no.
but there is a very good pair for the S4 (black) plus the switch, going on Ebay germany, ending in just over a day!
I thought of getting them myself, just as spares (they cost a fortune new), but decided against, as it is just tempting fate!
If I post the link you will get bidding competitors, up to you...or do you want to try find them yourself:)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
S4 Door Mirror

I have not been able to find a site which sells the replacement mirror glass for the Spider S4 door mirror. The replacement glass mirror would just stick on over the old mirror and they usually cost around the 20 quid mark for most cars. It is possible to buy the complete door mirror unit for the Spider S4 but you are right .....it does cost a fortune. I found the complete unit on Bertelsbeck Automotive for 300 euro.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
yep! the v.good pair on ebay fetched 150 quid, which come to think of it I should have bought just "in case"...especially as they were my car colour! Blast!*++### etc, etc!
Ebay: 180483635367

·
Registered
36 Posts
On a related topic, does anyone have any info on what I should do with my door mirrors as both have stopped moving when the adjuster switch is moved. I'm scared to take them off as they are adjusted OK for me at present and don't want to make things worse. Could it be just a fuse or connection as both have stopped? How can I check? Any thoughts welcome!

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
According to my workshop manual they are not protected by a fuse- I would take out the switch on the centre console and check it and clean it up with electrical spray....might do the trick....or at least check that the wires to the switch are still connected!

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,343 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm considering again changing my S4 mirrors to smaller chrome round ones. However, this becomes a big job if the old fixing holes do not get covered up by the new mirror. I am sure the new fixings won't match up but it would be easier at least if the old ones were covered. I have seen many S3 and S4 Spiders with this change, has anyone done it to know whether they cover?

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
I can't imagine they do. The mounts look quite large, apart from the fact it must be a real pain to get at from inside the door...according to an alfabb thread, the round chrome mirror's mount is just 20.3 mm at its widest and tapers, 100.9 in the length and screw holes 90.2 mm apart. How does that compare to your present mirror mounts?

However, people who have these cute round mirrors say you can't see anything, especially out of the passenger chrome mirror! Most people say to go for the vitaloni rectangular ones as used on the later of the early spiders.

Personally I think the originals are ok as long as they work - if they were both smashed off I would contemplate replacements, considering their massive cost to buy:)

Instead of going retro, you could go racy! The EMPI F1 mirrors from the states cost next to nothing and fit exactly on the S4, and the passenger one is slightly larger than the driver's (like the old Mercedes W124's)....dunno though!
fotos borrowed from alfabb with thanks!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Thanks SS4. I can't see much out of my current passenger mirrors anyway as there is the ongoing problem of left to right conversion meaning they don't turn in enough.
I'm doing it more for the look as I don't think the modern ones add anything to the car, the chrome looks much better IMO.
Thanks for measurements, thats great, I'll go have a fish around.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What colour ?

If you are considering replacing your S4 mirror units ....... what colour are they?

·
Registered
257 Posts
They are black. I could be tempted to part with them but it may be a while. There is a long list of jobs to do on both cars and this will be joining near the bottom!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions SS4 and to Nige for the link to the other link. That's some post from you guys. If the centre console switch looks OK (as per SS4) I'll have a look at the inside of the mirrors and get back to you.

·
Registered
480 Posts
However, people who have these cute round mirrors say you can't see anything, especially out of the passenger chrome mirror!
Yes, I found that to be true on my roundtail spider but then discovered that they had been fitted back to front. When they are the right way round you can angle them properly to see a lot more.

Cosmo

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
can only be the motors behind the glass.....maybe slightly seized or the glass is not properly connected to the tilt mechanism....just a guess, but i would try remove the glass and see what is there behind! (personally i would also like to see how the glass is fixed..but I am not touching mine...they work and on an alfa if it works you don't touch it:lol:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hi all,

My S4 still has the original wing mirrors and the electric tilting works fine (aren't I lucky) (Or perhaps tempting fate!). They can also be folded in if parked in a car park.

Replacement glass - there is a glass and mirror shop round the corner from me, and they offer to cut glass/mirrors to any shape. I'm sure a place like this could cut out new mirror glass that would fit the S4 and probably not that expensive.

I kind of solved the issue of the useless passenger wing mirror on my RHD converted Spider by sticking one of those little adhesive magnifying/wide angle mirrors in the right place (had a friend hold it while I sat in the driver's seat) but the wrong way round. This really works and feels much safer when I'm driving it. All I could see before was a blurred and overly magnified impression of an image, like a Monet or something - not good!

I'm not a fan of the chrome mirrors on the S4 - it looks a bit too retro compared with the rest of the styling. However, I'm sure I read on here once somebody managed to fit Jaguar XJS wing mirrors to their Spider - and IIRC the electrical wiring could be adapted to fit as well, so sustaining the electric tilt/adjust.

Might be worth a search.

Chris

1 - 20 of 30 Posts