Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question regarding the insulation in the compartment which contains the ICU.
On mine there appears to have been some black foam (acoustic?) which has broken down with age and turned to powder and mush! Does anyone know if this foam was originally attached to the bulkhead or the carpeted compartment cover? Also was there any other insulation such as felt in there? Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Its damping material attached to the chassis/inner panels to prevent/reduce low freq noise......... If your referring to the ecu under the rear bulkhead access panel

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes that is the area. However it seems that in my car it was never attached to the chassis (no evidence of glue) but was only stuck to the cover. Probably they run out when they were building my car! Thanks for the info I will fix some sound deadening felt along the chassis and bulkheads. It may well explain the 'booming echo' with the top up at speed.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
It was only stuck to the cover in mine too and, like yours, is perished.
When I get round to it I want to put some sound insulation back there and also under the bonnet.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
FYI
originally there is indeed a layer on insulation on the rear undershelf body, but only on the left side, not the ECU side...it is a thin very hard bituminous type stuff......well after 24 year it has gotten hard, put it that way!
I would not use any insulation near the ECU, in case it traps any moisture....probably why AR didn't.

The underside of the parcel shelf has normal foam applied to it (again, NOT over the ECU)

Attachments

·
Registered
630 Posts
I used the ecu hatch to house a panel mount 4 pin XLr audio connector, as it was easy to get an audio feed to. I then had a carpeted remove able speaker box that sat on the shelf, that plugged via cable to the ecu cover connector - was a really neat system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts