Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

My speedo is not working on my S3 and so I have to ask some questions...please :)

1. I take it, from looking under the hood, that the speedo cable comes from the gearbox to a sender unit box near the windscreen?
2. Any instructions about refitting a speedo cable, or checking if the current one is broken would be very much appreciated.
3. If its not a cable - what else could be the problem?

I would be very grateful for anybody's help, as always!

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
What year S3? Monopod instruments (86-ish onwards) or dual pods?
If speedo is the same as the S4 then check fuse #7, that runs the speedo, blower, cigar lighter and reverse lights.
If fuse is OK then report back.

·
Registered
17,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 1988 with monopod instruments.

My reversing lights and blower are working (albeit blower only works on full and it doesn't blow hot).

Thanks SS4

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
if the mileometer is still working (but the speedo not - check this next time you are out for a drive!) then you have a problem with the speedo itself.....you will need to take it out (not too difficult)

If both the speedo and mileometer are not working then next to suspect is either a broken speedo cable or a defective pulse generator (sender).

Cable: undo the knurled knob that holds the speedo cable to the pulse generator, and pull out the inside part of the cable.......see if it comes out in one piece. It will have squared off bits on both ends. Before you pull it out, just remember how far it is sticking out the sheath, so you know roughly, when putting it back, that it is back in all the way........you might need to twist it for the square end to fit back into the gearbox gearing bit. If the cable looks good, clean it up and lightly oil then replace it.
Pulse generator: there should be 3 wires coming from the pulse generator leading to a black connector block, pull the connector apart and clean these contacts with a good contact cleaner spray. If that is no help then you might require a new (well s/h, if you can find one!) pulse generator.

·
Registered
17,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for everyone's help on this. I have decided to take a more radical route and purchase a GPS speedo instead, with tacho to match :)

Not only will it solve my speedo issue, but it will also mean I'll now be in mph instead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts