Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Tried replacing the fuel filter on my S3 Spider. On my "variant" the fuel filter sits in a metal "cup" below the carbs. The cup is held tight against the top of the filter assembly by a u-shaped wire with a plastic nut on a small screw spur on the bottom - the U-wire flips under the cup and tightening the plastic nut pushes the cup tight up against the top of the filter.

Got it done eventually, but a couple of questions (none of the manuals have this variant in them):

How many gaskets should there be - when I took it apart there was just one around the edge of where the cup meets the top, but the pattern of grooves in the filter top suggested that perhaps there should be another smaller diameter gasket which fits between the top of the filter and the top of the filter assembly?

Where can one get new gaskets for these fittings - all my usual suppliers (CA, Alfaholics, Highwood), only seem to stock a gasket for the "glass cup" version?

And finally, are there any good tips for getting the cup to fit snugly and "petrol-tight" against the top of the assembly? It was a pig of a job to get it on snugly - took me four attempts to get it to sit tight enough that petrol didn't leak out when I started the engine.

Cheers in advance -

David

·
Registered
25 Posts
If it is a 'filter king' model it should have a seal under the filter, these are available on e bay for £2. Try greasing the bowl seal to improve sealing.

Sean

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for that Sean, really helpful. What sort of grease do you use to resist the petrol washing it out?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Rubber grease if you have it but normal bearing grease should be ok, if the seal can resist fuel a bit of grease wont do it any harm.

Sean

1 - 4 of 4 Posts