Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am now into my second week of owning an Alfa and great fun it is too! I have two questions regarding the doors:

My passenger door will not lock, the key goes in, but will not turn, is it work taking the handle out, if so how do I go about doing this?

Both doors do not seem to close fully without force, do they need to be adjusted?

Thanks
Stuart

·
Registered
70 Posts
The doors on mine need 'firmly' closed too. Although, as they are bacofoil, you do wince each time..

I have two keys - one that opens both doors but doesn't start the ignition. The other starts the ignition and opens the driver's door but occasionally fails to open the passenger door - I cannot explain this little curiosity. Both do lock however. I've never had to take one out to try and fix it but believe it is easy enough. I've scanned in the page from the workshop manual, PM me your email address and I'll send it over

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
my S4 doors (no difference i can see between S4 and S3) close easily, so I suggest you have to do a bit of adjustment somewhere. Perhaps the big rubber alignment guide on the door shut itself might be out of line, try removing it then gently closing the door - if it works better this might be the cause.
Check also for movement of the hinges by lifting the door up and down when it is open There should be no movement here or it means there is sagging somewhere.

If the lock does not turn then it is a problem with the internal lock barrel. You have to remove this by taking off the door capping, remove the chrome lock itself then slip off the catch nut or circlip and the barrel falls out with the key stil in (careful, keep the key IN the barrell there are five little spring loaded "tumblers" that jump out! do this very slowly and do not mix them up or the key will not go in at all!)
here is a good explanation:
Door Key Tumbler Removal from Handle? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Good luck:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts