Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have an '07 spider and have had some work done recently to respray the rear bumper. Now that the weather is a bit better I have tried to lower the roof but after the windows lower slightly I get an error from the dash stating a temporary error and to take it to a dealer. The roof doesn't move at all.

I promptly took it to a garage but have been unable to fix it. I have noticed that the cable behind the drivers set has been pulled and the cover on the top of the screen is missing. This suggests to me that the garage that resprayed my bumper have done something. After I took it to the dealer they are unable to release the roof mechanism without the possibility of breaking it as they are unable to release the mechanism within the boot.

They have advised that this will cost thousands if that happens and I'm at a loss as to what to do.

I have tried searching for hints and tried pushing the cable behind the drivers seat in but it won't budge.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I really want to keep this much loved alfa.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Look up 'manual operation' in the owner's handbook.
Have you used the roof before or just bought the car?

·
Registered
201 Posts
If the cable is pulled this releases the hydraulic pressure in the system. Hopefully it is an easy fix as Lussoman says open it manually.

I've read sometimes the cable sticks and it needs to be freed from the inside but I've not had this issue myself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all for your replies. The roof has worked fine for several years that I have owned the car.

I am unable to open the roof manually as the release mechanism located in the boot will not turn. It is jammed solid, making it impossible to free the cable. I am unable to get into the compartment behind the rear "seats/shelf" where the roof folds into.

I'm not sure if there is another way into this compartment without manually opening the roof.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just a thought. Can you get someone to operate the roof button while you try also to move it also manually. Maybe it could free it up or release the hydraulic pressure.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Just thinking out loud here, if work was done on the rear bumper,maybe the garage accidently pulled the cable behind the driver's seat instead of the one behind passenger seat , to gain access to the boot. This would release the hydraulic pressure in roof pump.
The manual operation of roof is really to close the roof in case of failure. When closed, it's four gas struts that hold the roof down, I think a person each side of rear part of roof would be able to lift it up to gain access to the hydraulic pump area, the arms on either side that are under the cloth would also need to be pulled down to release them-the opposite to what it says when manually putting roof up.
Is there any sound of the electrically operated hydraulic pump trying to work when the roof button is pressed? Are you trying this with the engine running as the battery alone will work,but does pull quite a bit of current.
I do hope you get it sorted, try to find an independent garage,doesn't have to be Alfa, other makes BMW for example have similar roof operating systems.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Is the electric trunk release working? either from the key fob or the button in the centre cubby? It might be that when they worked on the rear bumper they disconnected the electric lock mechanism - remember if the car thinks the trunk is possibly open, it will block any attempt to open the roof to avoid damage. Just a thought..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts