Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pressing switch and all that is happening is that windows are going halfway down, no other movement whatsoever, no red light flashing next to roof switch, can hear a switch clicking within closed roof compartment.

So, as I understand it, the lack of red light flashing may be indicating blown fuse...is that correct......night here so it is open for the night.....in the morning I will attempt to open rear hood compartment...aparently there is a switch behind drivers seat...is this correct......check oil....look for leaks......check fuse....anything else I can do?

Just for reference...when I was attempting to open...engine idling....handbrake engaged....

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Cheers

Lee

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
hmm, a common fault of the roof cover not opening is the motor jamming, dont know if this is the case this time, can you hear the motor whiring away while pressing the button?

if so, motor is probably jammed, so need to remove the inner carpet of the storage section behind the seats and bang the rectangular metal motor to unjam it

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spot on Jaydh, many thanks, banging the motor did the trick.

Hell of a way to fix something, is that a sign of a roof motor that is about to die?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
im not sure, there are a few threads on it so have a mooch round. it happened to mine and i was told it happens rarely to the same motor again but mine did so got a new one

·
Registered
77 Posts
Leeston, Same happened on my hood. Motor sticks or whirls and hood cover fails. If you take the motor apart, you may well find the plastic gear wheel teeth have been worn away by the metal worm gear.
As the plastic gear wheel only needs to partly rotate to operate, then if you remove it, refit it 180 degrees, then it will work again for a few years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yep mine did the same thing but the plastic gear was completely snapped, bosch make a replacement one which is a hell of a lot cheaper than the Alfa one and works perfectly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts