Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning my Spider dash was telling me it was 39 degrees so figured the sensor had gone faulty... did not realise this effects the efficiency of the climate control as well!

So I have already done a search and seen that AR do not sell the sensor on its own. I have seen various people try various other brands or AR ones with little success. Does anyone have a tried and tested solution or am I going to have to replace a whole mirror.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Just so you dont make the same mistake I nearly did....it has not been accidentally switched to degrees F?...rather than C!!! 39F is about 4C

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nobody had this?

Well I have managed to source a used silver electric folding mirror as the correct sensor is not available as a stand alone article, when that arrives I will pop the mirror glass off and have a look. I am hoping that the whole interal section unclips from the casing so I can just swop it into my black casing. Does anyone know if this is possible? Do not really want to go to the expense of getting the silver one sprayed or hacking about swopping sensors and potentially damaging the new one

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is a generic one... from the threads I have looked at, they tend not to read correctly on the Spider. The 159 has different mirrors and indeed AR do a specific one for those mirrors, but the Brera and Spider are different and AR want to try to sell you a whole mirror

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So on the way home on Tuesday the sensor started reading correctly again. So I went to set the auto fold in mirrors on locking to off and as they folded it read -30 for a minute or so then went back to the correct reading. So I am leaving it like that for now until the problem returns. When the spare mirror turns up I will maybe look to take it to peieces to see if the internals can be swopped over when the fault retruns

·
Premium Member
7,113 Posts
That is a generic one... from the threads I have looked at, they tend not to read correctly on the Spider. The 159 has different mirrors and indeed AR do a specific one for those mirrors, but the Brera and Spider are different and AR want to try to sell you a whole mirror
AFAIK, they are the same in all models, just some variations re the physical appearance..... They are all 10 kohm NTC resistors......
You can basically buy them for peanuts in any electronics shop, random example: NTC resistor.....

see (generic model) :
Qverde shop

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Saw that when I was doing a search invariably they either read -30 or plus 60 all the time and the one thread I found where it had worked it read 4 degrees too high all the time. Hense looking for an option that actually works for sure

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I fitted a generic one which was reading about 20 degrees too high I also tried a Renault Laguna one which was just as much out. Opted for a replacement mirror in the end. I gutted the sensor out of the new donor and swapped it to my original one.

seem to recall it involved cutting back some tape and removing the pins out of multi plug to pull wiring out. Or cut,solder and heat shrink

·
Premium Member
7,113 Posts
Saw that when I was doing a search invariably they either read -30 or plus 60 all the time and the one thread I found where it had worked it read 4 degrees too high all the time. Hense looking for an option that actually works for sure
-30 or +60 would point in the direction of either open or short-circuit, so something went wrong with installation ;)
There are also plenty of stories where replacement went fine, but up to you of course ;)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I fitted a generic one which was reading about 20 degrees too high I also tried a Renault Laguna one which was just as much out. Opted for a replacement mirror in the end. I gutted the sensor out of the new donor and swapped it to my original one.

seem to recall it involved cutting back some tape and removing the pins out of multi plug to pull wiring out. Or cut,solder and heat shrink
Yeah I think when it goes again I will go the cut and solder route with the mirror I have on the way. Most simple solution!

I am sure some of the generic ones work but then you have to get it to fit properly as well etc and thats not really my thing.. I would end up breaking more stuff than I fix!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, so the 2nd hand mirror arrived... if you remove the mirror glass, the electric internals are held into the cover by 3 torx screws...remove these and pull the internal unit out. You would need to take the door card off though to disconnect the connector and hand feed it through the hole in the door. I think it is doable without removing the mirror shell from the door though.

That said, my sensor that is already on the car has started to behave itself again so I will leave it be for now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts