Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

After your thoughts and experiences on oil consumption for a 2 litre twin spark spider.

I have done 3000 miles since getting my baby in June. This morning I have topped up the oil for the first time. It had been full when I got it and now needed the whole 1 litre top up that I had. Not sure if this is normal or not. It's the first time I have had to top up a car for years.

Also I put in 5w40 fully synthetic. Is this OK ?

Thanks in advance

Graham

D

·
0 Posts
You really should've been checking your oil weekly , at least at first - twinnies tend to use oil, some more than others.

If all its used is a litre over 3000mls then its not too bad at all.

Count yourself lucky though that you arent needing a new engine ......

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Davffc,

Well its the first time I had to top it up. But I had checked it after 1000 miles and it had not appeared to have used any then. Maybe the garage had overfilled it (would'nt be the first time).

Like I said its the first car that I have had to top up for years, and I mean years. All of my other cars have never needed to be topped up between services. Yes I did check them for the first few thousand miles. In fact even my motorbikes have never needed topping up either.

It initially looked like the spider was the same. but obviously not. Looks like a more regular check is needed.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
It's just one of those things, Graham, and it seems to be a Twinspark killer because people don't check and then the lack of oil kills the big end quite quickly!

D

·
0 Posts
Hi Davffc,

Well its the first time I had to top it up. But I had checked it after 1000 miles and it had not appeared to have used any then. Maybe the garage had overfilled it (would'nt be the first time).

Like I said its the first car that I have had to top up for years, and I mean years. All of my other cars have never needed to be topped up between services. Yes I did check them for the first few thousand miles. In fact even my motorbikes have never needed topping up either.

It initially looked like the spider was the same. but obviously not. Looks like a more regular check is needed.
No worries - I'd still check it weekly or fortnightly from now on just to be safe.
I know what you mean re other cars my dads old brava never needed topped up and I have to constantly remind him to check his twinnie although it doesnt use a whole amount either

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep I know lads.

To be honest it's shocked the hell out of me this morning. I only checked it because the bonnet was up to increase the concentration of the screen wash as it's now lloking to get a bit chilly !! The spider is only used as a fun car at weekends but I don't want any big bills as a result of stupidity. It's going to be a more regular check from now.

i know it's probably still not a great deal of consumption, but I am not used to it so it's like going back to when I was a teenager and looking after me cheap runabouts then. LOL

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I check every 2 weeks and after long runs, but in the 18months I've had the Spider she hasn't hardly used a drop.
I use Mobile 5w 40 fully synthetic and have no complaints.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts