Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well spent the day fiddling with various small issues ...radio reset (hour with engine running and 20 Quid) door trims adjusted etc etc. I have discovered that the 2 switches which release the hood and cover dont work (released them using manual cables) the roof is non electric.. Any ideas how they work and where to look for a problem?
My other worry is that I only have the RED key and no remote fob. Can I just have a key made? If I buy a used/new fob how do I program it to suit the car??? Sorry for the long-winded post!!
Cheers

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can anyone direct me to site where I can get some answers? Dont seem to be getting any advice on here:confused:

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,380 Posts
Well I can't help much but at least it's a bump !

No idea about the roof - sorry.

Here in the UK a Red key can be cut from a Red key at the local locksmiths. This certainly applies to keys without the remote buttons, can't comment on one with the remote function.

The cost for supply, cut and code of a Standard red key is about £30.

Good luck.

·
Registered
206 Posts
have you also checked to make sure that car has an alarm fitted? I beleive it's under a flap on a front wheel arch under the bonnet (correct me someone if i'm wrong), coz that would negate the need for an alarm fob. We had this problem and had to fit a brand new alarm.

I just wrote a massively detailed description about how to get the roof off and then realised that it's the switches that don't work, b*ll*cks, can't help you with that i'm afraid..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The switches are working now?? I guess they only work with a door open or ignition off or some similar safety device, The alarm seems to have been partially removed so I best get another fitted. Does the red key have a chip/code? The red key I have has no buttons on it...

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,380 Posts
The red key has a chip in it, usually a Philips one.

As it's just a " Normal " key with just the chip inside it to deactivate the Immobilizer, you should be able to get one copied at a local Locksmiths with no bother at all. You might end up with a FIAT style key but hey...

Alternatively blank Red Alfa look alike keys, without the badges, cost about £10 on eBay.

K

·
0 Posts
The switches are working now?? I guess they only work with a door open or ignition off or some similar safety device,
You might find the Hand Brake needs to be on.. this is certainly true of the electric version.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I've got a manual hood Spider - the ignition *must* be off for the hood and clamshell switches to work.

Of course, you've got to have the ignition on to drop the windows slightly before pulling the hood back (as per the handbook). You should do this to avoid stretching the mechanism or hood fabric around the back edge of the door windows, or to avoid cracking the windows.

·
Registered
17,798 Posts
My leccy hood needs the ignition on, (wait, before you laugh at me ) To do it manually....how wierd....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts