Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
23,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having driven what seems like a van as far as visibility is concerned for the last year or so I have decided to replace the rear screen with a new one.

There are plenty of ads for these for around £200.

My question - has anyone bought one of these and if so what was your experience? I am thinking of compatibility (zips etc) and ease of fitting without modification.

Any help greatly appreciated - it is a 2001 model btw.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Having driven what seems like a van as far as visibility is concerned for the last year or so I have decided to replace the rear screen with a new one.

There are plenty of ads for these for around £200.

My question - has anyone bought one of these and if so what was your experience? I am thinking of compatibility (zips etc) and ease of fitting without modification.

Any help greatly appreciated - it is a 2001 model btw.
It's not too difficult if you buy the correct rear window. I replaced mine a few years back and it's still absolutely fine. Here is link to my notes

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...nts-and-tips-for-fitting-rear-roof-panel.html

You'll fine plenty of other aids if you search forum using "rear window".

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
I have a brand new original equipment plastic rear window for a 916 spider. It will suit a blue roof as the panel is also blue.

Probably the last one available in the world, for sale :biglaugh:

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Paul, im not gonna tread on Andy's toes here, besides im loathe to sell it as they are as you know hen's teeth.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
If you just want the plastic replaced Trimmtech near me do a postal service at a lot less than £180 IIRC. Did mine earlier this year.
You remove the rear panel and send it them, they unstitch and replace the plastic, stitch back up and return to you.

Contact Trimmtech | Mail to Trimmtech

Postal price is less than £100 I think

·
Administrator
23,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you just want the plastic replaced Trimmtech near me do a postal service at a lot less than £180 IIRC. Did mine earlier this year.
You remove the rear panel and send it them, they unstitch and replace the plastic, stitch back up and return to you.

Contact Trimmtech | Mail to Trimmtech

Postal price is less than £100 I think
Thanks - I'll certainly look into (no pun intended) that.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Thanks both.

I am still looking and considering one of those advertised on eBay etc for around £180-£200 and am wondering if anyone has bought one from there and what their experience was.
I got mine of ebay. As long as you get one that preferably has the locating holes (to attach panel to the bar at back of panel, then fitting it is a doddle. Took me two hours but, after doing that one, I reckon an hour. I've never fit one before but it wasn't difficult.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I bought one from an on-line seller. It's aftermarket but very close to original. One of the key things is to get the direction of the zip section right, some zip up driver to passenger and some go the other way. I was lucky in as much that the orientation matched the original. Many on here advocate the use of a tacker gun but I just went with the original securing nuts along the basal frame of the rear section and all the tensioning is fine, and besides, staples tend to rust and look unsightly. It did take a couple of hours, partly due to a couple of the frame nuts being reluctant to loosen and partly because I had to make my own registration holes in the base strip. This was done with a hole punch similar to the type used for making holes in a leather belt. Cutting with a knife would not work as they would fray. The screen has been on for about three years now and the plastic is still clear and 'fold free'. At the time I bought mine is was about £150.00 so I would imagine £180.00-£200.00 is about right for a non-Alfa example.
Good luck

·
Administrator
23,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
got mine from this company :-

GTV Spider Window Only (PW20) | Cabriolet Hoods - my car is a 1998 Phase 1

it fitted OK and even the zip fitted, the bottom bolts can be a bit reluctant as other have mentioned, I replace all mine with stainless steel replacements (8mm length) size are m5 bolts with allen key head.
Thank you Solaris - order now placed as I wanted to hear that someone had bought one that fitted!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Renovo Blue will bring the colour back to very close to the original.
Thanks. Have tried Renovo and has helped, still looks quite "black-blue" but more than happy with how it looks.

PaulR. Good luck with the new screen, update would be good when fitted.

·
Administrator
23,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The new panel has finally arrived - it looks very well made.

It'll be a few days before I can fit it but I had sprayed WD40 on the bolts over the last week and all bar one have loosened off so far, hopefully the last one can be persuaded with Mole grips.

I'll post, with photos, when done. I'll also report how the job goes by reference to my inbuilt swearometer.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts