Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a knee operation, I started the spider last evening hoping for a pleasant summer blast. I normally drive straight off, this time I used the choke (left) pull out to help keep the motor ticking over while I put the cover away. Driving up the lane I could feel a misfire, like it was only on 3 cylinders. On the a40 the misfire persisted with a lack of power, although it would tick over perfectly. I'm going to clean the plugs, any other ideas? It's a 72 s2 and I'm not too sure about points,,timing and carbs....
Thanks in advance
Rich

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I'm not sure why the Spider needed a knee operation, but putting that to one side, it's not unusual for a period on choke to gum up the plugs a bit. You can try an Italian tune-up (i.e. drive it hard for a run) or clean or replace the plugs. Should sort it. If not, follow normal checks, leads, connections etc.

You can use the hand throttle to keep engine running while warming up.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Hi Rich, sounds like you may have disturbed some muck which has got into the main jet(s), just a guess here as I'm still finding my way round Dellortos but I think tickover and low revs will be fine as it works off a different (idle) jet, +1 on what Harry said, once she's good and warm give her a good thrashing (and the spider).... and that may clear the blockage, otherwise you can remove the jets very simply and check for debris that way. I never use the choke on mine, just a couple of pumps and some feathering, as harry also said you should use the hand throttle for raising the tickover. - hope you get it sorted , otherwise give me a shout and I'll try and talk you through it - there are plenty of good websites about Dellorto's and Weber's and how they work.
Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts