Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So my Spider keps cutting out on me, usually after moving from fast (highish revs) to slow (Low revs). Did it four times yesterday. Bloody annoying, not to say alarming when it happens in some road works and worst of all embarrassing ;).
Any ideas? Last time something like this happened it was a split airhose, but thats been replaced.

Whaat should I check/what can I look out for? Any help appreciated!
Really hoping its an easy/cheap fix (especialy after shelling out another load of cash to sort out stuff for its MOT, which it passed) else its off to the scrap yard :depressed:.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
I had a similar problem that bothered me for a long time.
The engine cut out or nearly stalled when stopping at red light
I checked for spilt air hose, cleaned the throttle, tried to change the idle controller.
But then when the engine was due for a cam belt change I also changed the cam variator because it sounded like a diesel when starting the engine.
And after changing the cam variator I have not seen the issue.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ok. So my Spider keps cutting out on me, usually after moving from fast (highish revs) to slow (Low revs). Did it four times yesterday. Bloody annoying, not to say alarming when it happens in some road works and worst of all embarrassing ;).
Any ideas? Last time something like this happened it was a split airhose, but thats been replaced.

Whaat should I check/what can I look out for? Any help appreciated!
Really hoping its an easy/cheap fix (especialy after shelling out another load of cash to sort out stuff for its MOT, which it passed) else its off to the scrap yard :depressed:.
Hi
Had this issue on my old 156, £17 and one crank sensor later..all fixed. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks chaps. I know its not the MAF - that was recently replaced with a new one. Not sure if I can bothered any more - spent a fortune on this car over the last 18 months, and am reaching the end of my tether. If I could be sure it was a simple cranks sensor replacement, I'd do it, but I'm no longer preapred to spend money chasing faults... . Need to think about it some more :(.

Thanks for you suggestions though:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Do the engine only cut out when it is warm?
And when engine cut out, can you start it again immediately after it has cut out?
If it is a faulty crank sensor the ECU will normally store an error code indicating missing signal from RPM sensor.
Have you tried to read out any potential error codes?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts