Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, think I need to top up the hydraulic fluid for the electric hood in my Spider. Can't see how to do it, anyone done this already?
Cheers!

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Not sure if there is a gold plated solution but what I did was get as much out of the old fluid with a large syringe and a bit of tubing (a couple of quid on eBay) then used the same kit to fill it up. To check the level I took a few pics on my mobile. Added a bit more if it wasn’t up to the mark, took another photo and repeated as necessary. I think I may have manually open and closed the hood along the way to get the fluid into the system. And that’s it really. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi Folks, think I need to top up the hydraulic fluid for the electric hood in my Spider. Can't see how to do it, anyone done this already?
Cheers!
Pull back the carpet in the cubbly hole behind the seats, passenger side to locate the reservoir. It's well hidden though and you will need a torch and mirror to see the level which should be between two lines marked on the side when the hood is down. Don't check with the hood up as fluid will be in the rams. Filling is via a brass plug on the top of the reservoir. You will need a small pump to fill such as this:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/tool-connection-tc4385-multi-purpose-mini-pump/

This is the correct fluid to top up with:

https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/?name=store&op=Details&ProdID=5293&sku=57502

It's described as power steering fluid but it's the same.

Yours should be green. Extract some with the pump to check.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had 3 very leaky rams.They used to get rid of fluid quickly, so once the roof had been operated about 5 or 6 times it would refuse to work as it was out of fluid. Well obviously I replaced the rams, but at £100 each secondhand it took a while to get me to part with the cash to buy them.
Hence I had to top the fluid up regularly.
In the 'cubby' box I carried a bottle of the correct fluid, a long hose with a piece of plastic like a very small funnel in the end, and a proper funnel in the other end. I also had a 13mm spanner in there too.
When it needed topping up, remove the carpet from the bottom of the cubby box. Lower the hood, remove the 13mm nut on top of the reservoir. Place one end of the hose in the pump container and fill the hose with fluid. Replace the 13mm nut and off we go again. I don't need to do it now as I have bought and fitted the rogue rams. The underneath of my car below the hood enclosure had oil dripping from it. Quite a leak!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had 3 very leaky rams.They used to get rid of fluid quickly, so once the roof had been operated about 5 or 6 times it would refuse to work as it was out of fluid. Well obviously I replaced the rams, but at £100 each secondhand it took a while to get me to part with the cash to buy them.
Hence I had to top the fluid up regularly.
In the 'cubby' box I carried a bottle of the correct fluid, a long hose with a piece of plastic like a very small funnel in the end, and a proper funnel in the other end. I also had a 13mm spanner in there too.
When it needed topping up, remove the carpet from the bottom of the cubby box. Lower the hood, remove the 13mm nut on top of the reservoir. Place one end of the hose in the pump container and fill the hose with fluid. Replace the 13mm nut and off we go again. I don't need to do it now as I have bought and fitted the rogue rams. The underneath of my car below the hood enclosure had oil dripping from it. Quite a leak!
Ah ok thanks that's really helpful. Actually this morning I've discovered a pool of fluid under the car where the roof motor is :grumpy: ..So looks like I'll need to part with some cash!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah ok thanks that's really helpful. Actually this morning I've discovered a pool of fluid under the car where the roof motor is :grumpy: ..So looks like I'll need to part with some cash!
Yes looks like it's the near-side outer hood ram that is leaking everything out of it! I want to fill up the reservoir and run the hood cycle just to double check it's this ram..
Does anyone know what hydraulic fluid I should be using?

Cheers : )

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi,
This is the fluid I used.
COMMA - 1 LITRE OF CHF11S CENTRAL HYDRAULIC FLUID VW AUDI PORSCHE (CHF1L)
That was the advert listing on ebay.
The hood now works perfectly
Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts