Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still getting used to the Spider as I have only had her 6 weeks or so.

One thing I notice is that people seem to tailgate me A LOT, or at least it seems that way.

I think the fact that the rear window ends so close to the driver, but the boot is quite high and extends back a way gives this impression.

Yet even trying to accommodate for this, I seem to get a lot of people driving right up my chuff, both in rush hour traffic and in busy motorway traffic.

Happened to me twice on the motorway today. As soon as the third lane opened up I dropped it a cog and left both for dead.

Have had a few people try to race with me when behind me. I think they see the quad tail pipes and think 'lets have a go'.

Does anyone else find people tailgating them a lot and trying to race? I think the shape of the car does make it look like people are a bit closer than they are, but I really do seem to be genuinely attracting tailgaters in this car.

It only happens in traffic as on the open road I tend to make swift progress.

What are other peoples experiences?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Can't say I noticed when I had mine James. Although most of my driving then was motorway between here and London or social trips out into the countryside...

Buy one of the scrolling LED signs that plugs into you Cig lighter! You then write a message saying ''get off my ass''! :lol:

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
It's only because they want to see the car close up :lol:
Never had a problem with tailgating in mine though? seems odd that you perceive it's happening alot to you :confused:

·
0 Posts
Ditto, I drive a Brera S and have the same problem in Peterborough. The thing is its not like it's another Alfa messing about its idiots in old Nissans and rovers? Then you get the old BMWs and audis, who think they can take you. Boy do they get a surprise! Lol

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.560813,-0.242699

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
They are trying to read the fancy cursive joiney up writing on the boot.....it's obvious.....they just wanna know what its called cause it's such a beautiful car. I recommend getting a piece of card board, maybe A3 size and writing the words, "IT'S CALLED A SPIDER" on it, place it in the back window if it's not too big, or maybe drill holes in your rear bumper and tie rap it there....you could maybe use a highlight marker for a little bit more visibility.....I'd suggest laminating it though if your gonna put it on the outside of the car, as cardboard very quickly turns to mush in this weather :cheese:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ditto, I drive a Brera S and have the same problem in Peterborough. The thing is its not like it's another Alfa messing about its idiots in old Nissans and rovers? Then you get the old BMWs and audis, who think they can take you. Boy do they get a surprise! Lol

Columbo,

Where do you get your Brera serviced - main dealer in town?

·
0 Posts

Columbo,

Where do you get your Brera serviced - main dealer in town?
Yes I get it done at Donald's, in the city.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.560927,-0.242571

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They are trying to read the fancy cursive joiney up writing on the boot.....it's obvious.....they just wanna know what its called cause it's such a beautiful car. I recommend getting a piece of card board, maybe A3 size and writing the words, "IT'S CALLED A SPIDER" on it, place it in the back window if it's not too big, or maybe drill holes in your rear bumper and tie rap it there....you could maybe use a highlight marker for a little bit more visibility.....I'd suggest laminating it though if your gonna put it on the outside of the car, as cardboard very quickly turns to mush in this weather :cheese:
:lol:

·
Registered
472 Posts
I am still getting used to the Spider as I have only had her 6 weeks or so.

One thing I notice is that people seem to tailgate me A LOT, or at least it seems that way.

I think the fact that the rear window ends so close to the driver, but the boot is quite high and extends back a way gives this impression.

Yet even trying to accommodate for this, I seem to get a lot of people driving right up my chuff, both in rush hour traffic and in busy motorway traffic.

Happened to me twice on the motorway today. As soon as the third lane opened up I dropped it a cog and left both for dead.

Have had a few people try to race with me when behind me. I think they see the quad tail pipes and think 'lets have a go'.

Does anyone else find people tailgating them a lot and trying to race? I think the shape of the car does make it look like people are a bit closer than they are, but I really do seem to be genuinely attracting tailgaters in this car.

It only happens in traffic as on the open road I tend to make swift progress.

What are other peoples experiences?

Funnily enough I find the opposite happens when I'm in my Brera, I tend to find people back off a bit more, probably because they think its faster than it actually is!

Its a different story when I'm in my gf's focus though, the usual tw*ts sit on my ass then.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Does anyone else find people tailgating them a lot and trying to race?
No... perhaps because i do not let them do... if they want to pass and i'm at the speed limit, i simply let them pass... but it happens pretty much all the time that people overtake the Spider, stare at it while passing, then slow down so i pass them, and then they go again after taking a second look... and if they have kids in the back seats you can usually see them looking at the car, pointing at it and shouting something at their parents :D

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
yeah, I have the same happening every now and then, mostly delusional chavs who drive tarted up Corsas or similar automotive smegma..

The best was a couple of evenings ago, after work: I was troddling along on my way home when this uber-chav starts tailgating me with his Seat Ibiza with those horrible icy blue headlights, neon lights, tinted windows and lowered suspensions... the full package!

We're on a double carriage, hopping from roundabout to roundabout. I move to the left, giving him way, but he stays glued to my back.. I hate it, cos if I have to slam on my brakes for whatever reason he's gonna drive straight into me.
I give it a bit of boot and he becomes a small chavvy blue light on my back, then he opens up and probably has some sort of NOS malarkey, cos by the time we reach the roundabout he almost catches up with me.

I open up again and so he does, but halfway through I hit the brakes and he zooms past. He probably thinks he's won, but the next thing he sees it's a double flash from a speed camera, which I knew was there and had only recently been installed (probably for the "racerz" like him..). I approach him at the next lights and through the tinted window I can see the silhouette of the douchebag, who's staring fwd and gripping hard on his steering wheel.. well Merry Xmas to you, my chav friend ;)

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
I get tail gaters all the time :rolleyes:

I guess it's like everyone on here has said, folk don't recognise the Brera and mooch up close to get a better look, and yes it is ****ing annoying :mad:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Best thing to do is slow right down, turn the music up, & enjoy the ride - nothing like it for p*ss*ng them off, especially if you speed up "just a little bit" when they try to get past

:D :D :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts