Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Spider clutch problem

3K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  scsc 
G
#1 ·
I had a spot of bother with the clutch last week.

It happened at tea time in Edinburgh's Royal mile. The clutch stuck partially up and filled the car with the most awful stench as I edged forward. I was blocking traffic in both directions :eek: so had to drive on until I could stop to rectify it. - not more than 300 yds or so.

I finally managed to pull the pedal up with my toe. It was very reluctant to come up. Didn't feel like it was just caught on something as it resisted most of the way. It did it again the next time I put my foot down but freed up again immediately after that. Felt more like a sticking cable (do cars still have clutch cables?) - but I've only ever had that on a bike so it's not a direct comparison.

No problem since, but it has got me a bit worried. I don't really want to take it to the dealers to have them charge me £90 to tell me they can't find anything wrong.

Anyone else had anything similar?

G
#3 ·
Yes it is under warranty. But the last problem I had, that they said was NFF, they charged me £90 for looking at it.

I did get the money back later when the fault recurred and it became a warranty issue.

#4 ·
Don't know about anyone else but if my dealer tried to charge me to diagnose an issue under warranty they'd need surgery to remove some of the parts. Your car can't be much more than a year old (mine was the 1st 2.4 and it was registered 01/05/07) therefore any issue is likely to be warranty.

You need a serious word with your dealer (or a new dealer).

G
#5 ·
Fair bit under a year old.

Last issue was battery related. They told me it just needed charged and 'charged' me £90 for a non-warranty issue. (Dearest battery charge ever?)

I'm an electrical engineer, so I knew what they were saying was incorrect, and I told them so and asked them to note what I said. Within a week I was back with the same issue and they changed the battery without quibble - refunding the previous charge. Fair enough really.

I suspect that if there is no fault found this time they'll charge me again. I'm not sure I blame them. Their workshops would be full of neurotic timewasters if there was no deterrent.

#6 ·
That's simply unacceptable. For a dealer to charge you is wrong. I would call Alfa and get them to collect your car and drop off a courtesy car. It is a serious safety issue to be driving a car with a potential defective clutch, plus I'm sure any warranty claim would be jeopardized if you continue to drive it without getting it checked.

Who was the dealer?

#10 ·
Aha another 2.4 owner with clutch issues the same as mine!!

Mine has been doing the same for nearly 6 months.

The pedal sticks down on gear changes.

Sometimes in the morning it goes flat to the floor and doesnt come up again.

I have got so used to it I hook the pedal back up with gear changes and tend not to notice it anymore :(

On mine they have replaced the clutch assembly, friction plate, master cylinder and slave cylinder over the course of 4 visits, and guess what the same problem still remains!

Im almost glad someone else is reporting the same problem as I am sure they think im making it up sometimes! Unfortunately for me there has been no resolution and the car will be returned to them next month with this outstanding.

The only thing they havent replaced which I think stands a chance of curing it is the pedal box.

Good luck with yours, and give the dealer hell - this should all be warranty FOC!

G
#11 ·
In a way I'm glad someone else has the same problem. At least I'm not imagining it. From what Euroboy says it doesn't sound as though I'll get much assistance from Alfa unless I can demonstrate the problem. And perhaps not even then. I will put it on record with them though.

How often does yours do this and has it got progressively worse Euroboy?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.