Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well S3 in the past year has been off the road, inspected and overhauled ready for 2009 including upholstery, breaks, break pipes etc, etc, etc. Put in for MOT and it passed. Inspector said he had seen more rust on a three year old car than on the spider.

Happy bunny, now on the road.

Was cleaning under bonnet at the weekend and noticed fluid leaking out of clutch master cylinder. Although working ok, it will only get worse. While trolling around Alfa suppliers, can only find new replacement units. (expensive). What happened to overhaul kits, can you still get new seal’s, or in today’s throw away society, has everything got to be replaced?

Not a happy bunny now.

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
Great that you're back on the road! :thumbs:

Seal kits may be available try J and L Spares Export Ltd who do brake stuff but they may be able to help with clutches as well. But, unless the seals are not working through contamination or physical damage, you will be putting new seals into an already worn bore and they will probably only last a year or two. My recently reconditioned brake booster failed after 13 months probably for this reason. New or properly reconditioned would be my recommendation.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information Cosmo.

I will give them a ring.

I agree with your comments regarding a worn bore and the unit will have a full inspection when stripped out, it may end up having to have a complete new unit, but I would like the option.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update, J and L spares will only supply replacement parts if they can have the original unit to look at or they will re-con for a min of £100.

Rang my Bedford contact instead, nearly new good unit on the way for a good price.

Will swap on arrival, problem nearly solved.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
I had endless problems with the master cylinder when I bought my Spider 15 years ago.Problem was solved after I had the cylinder re-sleeved in stainless steel 10 years ago in South Africa.No problem since.....apart from bent valves at the moment:cry:

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
try bertelsbeck in germany for the repair kit if you cant get it in UK....
Bertelsbeck Automotive - hydraulische Betätigung

normally when you check the clutch master cylinder bores, there is a lot you can do with fine emery (I use emery and petrol), as long as you sand in a circular motion (NOT up and down the cylinder bore, if you understand what I mean) I have done many a cylinder (brake and clutch) like this and it has held as new, with new seals...if the bores are badly scored or pitted it might be more difficult.
Resleeving in stainless is obviously a better, but more expensive way to go, but not necessary if the bores are serviceable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts