Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at some different Alfa sites on the internet looking for a drivers side B pillar top cap as I'm tired of scraping my back on the exposed end of mine with its broken cover.
The cost of some chrome interior parts is horrendous. 28 euros for the bit I want but I need to order 50 euros before they will post? The little chrome brackets to replace the black painted metal ones I have fitted that hinge the two sun visors are over 50 euro for four.....two door lock release levers for the inside are 50 ish euros? When did all this get so expensive? Are there any Alfa used parts people? E bay is next to useless these days and I dont trust it anymore.
Any tips as to where I should be looking please?
Also I would like a set of floor mats but the ones online appear to be eighty quid for two? Two mats for eighty quid....

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
nothing is cheap on classic cars.
But I agree some people quote horrendous postage (especially from some USA sellers and a lot of sellers in Italy, they seem to make their profit on the postage alone!)
I have got really good parts, some too cheap, from ebay..........just gotta know who to trust on there and how to read between the lines and pick out the honest sellers (millions of honest sellers, some black sheep)

but you could try phoning Cheshire alfa or Vintage alfa (they are both on ebay, btw!) both of whom have alfas breaking for spares.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Can you post some links to the parts that you are after? I'm not sure what you mean by the door lock release levers.

I may have them knocking around somewhere in my parts stash from the parts car.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Drivers b pillar cap- my back is already scarred for life without it being there complete. Mine is damaged and sharp!

Attachments

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The panel that holds the fuel flap release and the boot release on the passenger b pillar is damaged and I need another one of these if you have such a thing please?

Attachments

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A decent set of Alfa logo 'd chrome wing mirrors is also on my shopping list. In fact any retro items to give the car that earlier look. The bumpers are good on this car so I can't really justify going back to chrome with those yet. I am looking for a set of wheels which will suit too. Alloys or even a set of smart steel with the chrome hub caps but that would require changing the bumpers too and probably dispensing with the sill covers. For now I am focusing on tidying the interior. I am trying to find a decent quality pair of Alfa floor mats for it. Currently has a splendid pair of Maserati mats but they don't really suit.....

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
I think you would have been better off buying a S2 if you want that much retro - to change the bumpers for the early SS ones would be a hugely expensive task and an S4 with early bumpers would look a tad odd IMHO, its been done on the S3 but never seen anyone try it on a S4
Cheshire and Vintage are both well known to the Alfa community as trusted sellers but some parts are rare and you will pay the price

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think I will ever change the bumpers. Retro mirrors and maybe some chrome interior bits will be enough I think. It's not to be a show car. I want to drive it regularly. Little attention to detail on the suspension won't go a miss either I feel. The handling is a bit jiggly.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
The panel that holds the fuel flap release and the boot release on the passenger b pillar is damaged and I need another one of these if you have such a thing please?
I simply made one from alloy - was not going to pay for breaky plastic
- one day I will finish the plate that acts as a cover!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Veloce sport in Lincoln way for your mirrors. 26 each, they are the same as you can buy else where but costing 33 plus vat...

QUOTE=alfski;14966337]A decent set of Alfa logo 'd chrome wing mirrors is also on my shopping list. In fact any retro items to give the car that earlier look. The bumpers are good on this car so I can't really justify going back to chrome with those yet. I am looking for a set of wheels which will suit too. Alloys or even a set of smart steel with the chrome hub caps but that would require changing the bumpers too and probably dispensing with the sill covers. For now I am focusing on tidying the interior. I am trying to find a decent quality pair of Alfa floor mats for it. Currently has a splendid pair of Maserati mats but they don't really suit.....[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it did occur to me to remake or repair the panel but time is short in our world and I thought the problem would be easier solved with a replacement. I used to make alloy plate instrument binnacles and consoles,blanking plates and back in the day fabricate repair panels to rivet on me old Capri and Cortinas......
Thanks for the heads up on the mirrors.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
I don't think I will ever change the bumpers. Retro mirrors and maybe some chrome interior bits will be enough I think. It's not to be a show car. I want to drive it regularly. Little attention to detail on the suspension won't go a miss either I feel. The handling is a bit jiggly.
It wouldn't hurt to change the bushes all round - by jiggly I presume you mean scuttle shake (shakes when hitting potholes) that's just the nature of the beast - all Alfa Spiders of all generations do it to a lesser or greater degree (as do many other makes of convertibles)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The spider doesn't feel particularly poor for scuttle shake- I have owned a few convertibles and it is not the worst for scuttle shake by far......
It feels a little like the rear end is attempting to steer independently if I throw it into a bend fast. Generally in a big fan of oversteer ,only its better when it's provoked .....
When you are doing 70 it steers pretty well. Get her up to eighty and the front end is a bit loose. It almost wallows when we had it in the air to,spray the underside in a protective coating we noticed that the shock absorbers all round appeared fairly new and matching.. Could be suspension or steering. The MOT is due soon and if there is anything mechanically awry it will show up and be rectified. Of course it may be that the car is 26 years old and a forty plus design and they all do that sir. checked the tyre pressures the other day and they were three reading high and one quite low so I set them correctly thinking that would be my problem but no real significant change. The tyres are old but serviceable and I'm a little loathed to swap them for no good reason especially as there is a fair chance the rims will be changing before I'm done.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Sounds like the rear bushes could do with replacing - also check the T bar thrust washers - these are worth doing and very easy if you just cut them at an angle and slide them in
SU071 SUPERFLEX T-BAR END THRUST WASHER - Classic Alfa
the whole kit is here
SU136 REAR SUSPENSION BUSH KIT - UPRATED - Classic Alfa
Many Alfa's have ancient tyres that have plenty of tread because they dont do the miles - if yours have cracks or are an unknown make I would replace them - it does make quite a difference
Finally the design is pretty ancient and is much more of a GT than a sports car, not a patch on something like an Alfasud - if you want to go the sporty route then there are many kits available

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I will have a look in the shed later this week, I think I have the door handles and probably the B post trim.

As Joe90 says, it sounds like your trailing arm bushes need replacing. Soft ones do give that rear wheel steer feeling.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you for looking. The bushes on the back will get investigated when I put the exhaust right which is the last job needed before the MOT i think.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Hi Alfski, I have found one door handle and have both the B pillar tops. Not sure which side you need - driver side depends on whether you are LHD or RHD.

Can you PM me with your email address and I will send you pics?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts